SLC to PF70 over devicenet

russrmartin

All,

I will be networking a powerflex 70 drive to a SLC500 in the near future. The SLC is ethernet capable and connected to the plant LAN. In reading the manual, they indicate a KFD driver (I think) to communicate to the devicenet network with. I'm wondering if this is possible to do via the PLC's ethernet connection, or, should I start rounding up the necessary cabling and hardware now that the manual shows. Any other potential landmines to look out for are appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

Russ

I recommend getting your hands on a 1770-KFD serial interface to DeviceNet if you can. It is the most stable and straightforward way to get online with a DeviceNet and upload/download parameters from the scanner and the drive.

The "1747SDNPT" driver works, but is very slow. You need version 4.026 or better firmware (the current is 8.002) and you need to set the "M-file" size to 361 words (for 4.x firmware) or 395 words (for 5.x and later). If you have to change that value in RSLogix 500, cycle power once before attempting the 1747SDNPT passthrough driver.

Choose the basic 4 bytes Input / 4 bytes Output Polled I/O connection to start with. All the default data sizes and settings match when you use the default.

Ken,

Thanks for the info. When you refer to firmware, are you talking RSL500 or RSNetworx? That said, I'll try to find the KFD module. I've seen it before, but locating it is the fun part. Thanks.

Russ

russrmartin said:
Ken,

Thanks for the info. When you refer to firmware, are you talking RSL500 or RSNetworx? That said, I'll try to find the KFD module. I've seen it before, but locating it is the fun part. Thanks.

Russ

The FW in the SDN Card

Right, I was referring to the 1747-SDN firmware. The "SDNPT" driver was implemented first in version 4 firmware, then expanded to handle larger packets to support PanelView download in version 5. The default M-file size is 256 words, and you need to manually set it to 361 or 395 words to use the SDNPT driver.

When a 1747-SDN boots up, it flashes a series of numbers. From memory, they are (for a default version 6.002 module)

88 (LED test)
06 (major rev 6)
02 (minor rev 02)
00 (125 kb/s data rate. 1=250 kb/s, 2=500 kb/s)
63 (Node Number, default is 63)

then the module starts making I/O connections and will display diagnostic codes alternating with node numbers, or will display its own Node number steadily when everything is functioning normally.