reseting timers

Hojland

I have 5 timers. When the first one is finest, it starts the next one. But in which oder shut they reset one and other. I mean the fist one is started by an input. the second one is stated by the first.and so on. Shut the second on reset the first one. They shut just go over and over again. Pleas help fast

Hello Hojland;

Please specify the model of PLC and software you are using, each manufacturer has his own special way of programming his timers. That way you will probably get help from someone here who works with your brand of PLC.

But generally a timer can be reset as soon as it has completed its timing period, making sure that the trigger is also not active at that moment.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Is this relay logic? PLC logic? Which PLC?
What is it SUPPOSED to do?

I envision it as:

IF input AND NOT timer2, THEN timer1

IF timer1 AND NOT timer3, THEN timer2

etc.

Is this correct?

Don't know which platform you are using, but in AB land, you would have the fifth timers not done bit in the logic for the first timer. Then when the fifth timer times out, it would reset the first timer, the first timer's done bit would go false, which would reset the second timer, and so on.

Here's an example of four cascading timers:

The done bit in ladder 0000 shoud be T4:3.DN

cas_tim.png

Last edited:
Ken Moore said:
Don't know which platform you are using, but in AB land, you would have the fifth timers not done bit in the logic for the first timer. Then when the fifth timer times out, it would reset the first timer, the first timer's done bit would go false, which would reset the second timer, and so on.

Here's an example of four cascading timers:

The done bit in ladder 0000 shoud be T4:3.DN

So it is like a one big timer made of small timers .. ?

Wondering about that. If the timers should sequence then start the sequence over then Ken's method is the easiest, here is another way to do it. NOTE: Either way what ever starts the timing sequence must stay true to maintain the sequence.

abtimingtimer.jpg

atifplus said:
So it is like a one big timer made of small timers .. ?

A better term is Sequencer. In some programming packages, they have an instruction called 'Drum'. It simulates the timer in your washing machine, dishwasher, etc.
Automation DIrect has a Drum instruction if you want more info. Without a Drum, you need to cascade timers to make a sequencer.