SLC 5/05 OS500 Multihop capability

Kron

Hi all!

I'm programming a SLC 5/05 OS500 and I want to send messages to a CLX 1756-L55 via Ethernet.

I've been looking for documentation to verify the multihop capability of that specific SLC model, and I found a document on RS KnowledgeBase where specifies that the minimum requirements are:

"SLC5/05 firmware minimum requirements to support Multihop messages. OS501 Series A, FRN 5 or higher to support multi-hop messaging"

However, I'm a bit confused because the software allows me to configure the multihop message on the program, even when the processor configured "should" not support multihop.

Does anyone knows if the SLC 5/05 OS500 'really' supports multihop? Or it's just a RSLogix500 bug that is confusing me?

Thanks in advance for any help.

In my opinion, RSLogix 500 should "gray out" or hide the MultiHop function in the MSG instruction when you're dealing with old firmware that doesn't support it. I also think it should be more clearly labeled "CIP Path" like it is in RSLogix 5000.

OS500 (vintage 1993 or so) supports only the legacy "CSPv4" Ethernet protocol for PLC-5E and SLC-5/05, and cannot exchange messages with ControlLogix.

The good news is that all SLC-5/05 controllers are flash firmware upgradeable. There's a part number for the firmware kit (it's not included in the tech support contract like Logix firmware is)... 1747-DU501 if I remember correctly.