Modbus Rtu

reachasp

Hi!

We are doing machine tool automation work. Presently we
have one project which demands MODBUS RTU communication with
MICROLOGIX & COMMANDER VFD. I have never used MODBUS RTU .

I would like to go thru any study material available regarding
this.I request you to pl suggest me links related to this.

Thanking you in advance for your co operation.

With Best Regards

Amit

Hello reachasp;

Since you have no experience with Modbus, here is a link to a good Modbus tutorial that should help you understand the basics of the protocol:
http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/modbus.html

Now, once you have an idea of the required information on Modbus, here is an Allen-Bradley application for a Micrologix Modbus Master with a A-B drive. You will need to use MSG instructions to create the Modbus "jobs" and details are quite well shown. It should give you enough to adapt your program:
http://www.ab.com/support/abdrives/powerflex4/ModbusRTUControl_w_ML1500.pdf

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

We've done Micrologix 1500 to Commander SK using MODBUS. The Advanced Users Guide for the Commander SK gives a good bit of information on the MODBUS hookup.

Thanks Bernie !

I will look for the Advanced User Manual for Comander SK on
Control Techniques site.

Regards

Amit.

Looking back on our applications I see I misled you. We have used MODBUS from the Micrologix1500 to command drives (not Commander SK, they were AB Powerflex 4). And we have used MODBUS (from Automation Direct systems) to command Commander SK drives. But I should be able to help as it's just a combination of these.

Hi Bernie !

I am still in early stage of knowing what is MODBUS !
I will come back to u in day or two. Thanks for ur help !!

Regards
Amit