AB Factorytalk user authentication

bro08170

I cannot go online or download to my SLC-505. I recently purchased another license for RSLogix500, but I don't think this has anything to do with it. When I try to connect I get "Going online requires FactoryTalk Security user authentication." I think this has to do with the fact that the "processor secured" box in the controller properties is checked, (which I would like to be able to turn off as well). I recently had to change the Ethernet IP address, and since I haven't been able to connect. I can ping it, but I just can't get through with RSLogix.

Which Version of RS Logix 500 you are using??
Normally RS Logix doesn't use Factory Talk.
You should use RS linx classic with serial port connection.
In the Control Panel , open system,Hardware,Device Manager, Ports, Communications Port, Select the port you are using, let say Com1,Port settings,Advanced, and uncheck the Use FIFO buffer box. click OK, and close the Control Panel Wondow.

then run your RS linx classic, add new driver, DF1, Cofigure, and run auto configure wizard. you should connect to your SLC 5/05.

raphael said:
Which Version of RS Logix 500 you are using??
Normally RS Logix doesn't use Factory Talk.
You should use RS linx classic with serial port connection.
In the Control Panel , open system,Hardware,Device Manager, Ports, Communications Port, Select the port you are using, let say Com1,Port settings,Advanced, and uncheck the Use FIFO buffer box. click OK, and close the Control Panel Wondow.

then run your RS linx classic, add new driver, DF1, Cofigure, and run auto configure wizard. you should connect to your SLC 5/05.

I have never heard "uncheck FIFO buffer" to help or make Com 1 work or help RSLinx serial comm. Mine is checked and I don't have a problem never have.
So my question is "Why"?

Mickey said:
I have never heard "uncheck FIFO buffer" to help or make Com 1 work or help RSLinx serial comm. Mine is checked and I don't have a problem never have.
So my question is "Why"?

Me to I'd never done this before, until one day I have to install a new SLC5/05, and I can't communicate with serial port. One young engineer in my team suggest to do that, and it works. The RS Logix was communicating fine with the SLC 5/05.Of course after the recognition of the SLC, you can restore the check box of the FIFO.

There's nothing 100% correct or 100% wrong, the only way to know is to test and try.

raphael said:
Me to I'd never done this before, until one day I have to install a new SLC5/05, and I can't communicate with serial port. One young engineer in my team suggest to do that, and it works. The RS Logix was communicating fine with the SLC 5/05.Of course after the recognition of the SLC, you can restore the check box of the FIFO.

There's nothing 100% correct or 100% wrong, the only way to know is to test and try.

Well after you mentioned this I went to take a look at how my desktop was set up. I was not able to see it. (see screen shot below). I have not been able resolve this yet.
The serial port is not broke so I guess I should not try to fix it. Laptop is ok FIFO Buffer is checked.

AdvanedButton.jpg

Factory Talk Authentication

All-
I was actually able to solve this one with tech support from my vendor by unplugging the SLC5/05 and resetting the controller to factory defaults (make sure you have your program backed up elsewhere before you do this because you will loose all info on the processor). This may have been the long way around, but it worked- after resetting the IP address on the controller I was able to download the program to the controller again and get back up and running.
As for factory talk, I am using RSLogix 7.10, and they are moving to requiring it for product activation, especially for concurrent (server-based) licensing.
The processor secured box thing was solved by cut/pasting the ladder logic program into a new file. According to Rockwell Automation, there is currently no way to change the "processor secured" checkbox once its been checked. You can still change the program, but its touchy getting in. I'd just leave it unchecked.