Ethernet Communications

dbowyer

Hello,

I am new to the Allen Bradley world. I have a logix 5555 connected via Ethernet to a PV plus 1000. What is the protocol for connecting a pc to upload the program and what hardware is required? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dbowyer said:
Hello,

I am new to the Allen Bradley world. I have a logix 5555 connected via Ethernet to a PV plus 1000. What is the protocol for connecting a pc to upload the program and what hardware is required? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Which program? The PLC program, PV 1000 program or both?

For the PLC, you're going to need RSLogix 5000 software with the appropriate firmware version installed. You'll use RSLinx to communicate between the RSLogix 5000 and the ControlLogix.

For the PanelView Plus, you're going to need RSView Studio. It will have RSLinx Enterprise along with it to communicate with the PanelView.

What hardware? It's just plain, ol' ethernet...

Last edited:
Well before you can do anything, you'll need to configure drivers in RSlinx to establish the network nodes you wish to connect too. There are different ways to connect, but given you're using ethernet you'll need the IP address of the plc and the HMI, and you'll need an IP address for the pc you wish to use. Once you have that information, add your ethernet drivers in RSlinx, and configure your computer's IP address accordingly. Once you've done that you should be able to see your network nodes in RSlinx if everything is connected correctly.

After that, you'll need to use the RSlogix5000 or your panelbuilder program to download/upload the program you want.

I really appreciate your assistance. Can you all give me some guidance as far as where I can locate all these IP addresses?

Doug

There are a couple of options.

1) Go to each ethernet device and get it from the config. PCs are fairly easy (Start > Run > CMD > IPCONFIG will give you what you need. If you need to change it, you'll do it through the control panel) PLCs will vary from model to model. You're using a ControlLogix, so I assume a 1756-ENBT for your ethernet comm... it should show the IP on the scrolling display on the front of the ENBT. PVP... I honestly can't tell you off the top of my head from home without the manuals. I know you can get it from the config screen, but if it is running a program you have to have a link to the config screen. If you have a copy of the program, it'll be in there, too.

2) Another option I just learned about yesterday is a program called Look@LAN. Freeware, extremely easy to use. It'll check the network for all IP addresses. I haven't had a chance to use it in one of our plants yet, but it looks good.

Ping only checks a specified host. You have to give it the target address. If you don't give it an address, it comes up with a help screen. It won't check addresses within a range, it won't check for all addresses on a network. It will only check one specific IP at a time.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I have successfully navigated through the network and obtained access to the logic. I really appreciate it.

dbowyer