alarm systems

s01007638

S
can anyone tell how plc can be used to design a simple burglar alarm system

Your first question should be: how would I do it without a PLC, eg. with relays or with electronics?
Second question: what are the benefits of a PLC over those other systems?

If you can answer both questions, you almost have the solution. You would have the logic involved and the reasons why using or not using a PLC. The only thing left is to learn the instructions for that type of PLC you'll be using.

Good luck!

Jean Pierre Vandecandelaere

It's always nice to try something new. Burglare alarm with a PLC. A prety expencive solution. But OK when you have a PLC why not.

The most important thing is to make every part fail safe.

Wath plc brand do you want to use and what type ??

JV

Even though I like PLCs and all...have you looked in x10 stuff for your alarm system?

I like to go to www.smarthome.com for my x10 stuff I get for my home. It might be cheaper. I dunno I never costed everything out being you can get some pretty cheap stuff at automationdirect.com

Simple Alarm?

Hi

First of all simple should be spelled $imple and over-kill will be the word for the day.

It would probably be cost prohibitive for a simple alarm but to answer your question, all the inputs would be connected to the PLC input cards and the outputs be connected to the output cards and you would program how they would react and interact.
Inputs would be such things as switches on doors and windows, photo sensors, motion detectors, heat detectors, etc…
Outputs would be lights, horns, buzzers, phone dialing , etc….

Roger

One fellow done simple system, he put switch under motorcycle seat -mayby HarleyD-, connect it to old GSM-type-mobile-telephone -Nokia-who done short-dialing to his own telephone. Sorry, no PLC.
Police with operator can follow open GSM-phone location.

I had a good friend who grabbed a plc 5 as it was going to the dumpster. Everything in the plc was good they were just chunking it away because we were upgrading the system. My friend set the plc in the attic and he had a tiny camera on the outside in front of the door
the camera was turned on and off by a motion sensor when motion was detected it sent a input to the plc the code was executed and sent an output with a delay time off to the camera. The images from the camera were sent to his desktop pc. Pretty simple stuff for a plc he did it just for the experience.

the pico controller from allen bradly will work.compact easy to program and free software.draw your circuit diagram and input the diagram as ladder logic.this is not meant as a product endorsement just help
mike