Differences and similarities between plc's and PCs

diman

Hi everyone!I really need your help....Can anyone please tell me which are the differences and similarities (as far as hardware is concerned) between PLCs and PCs???

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
diman said:
Hi everyone!I really need your help....Can anyone please tell me which are the differences and similarities (as far as hardware is concerned) between PLCs and PCs???

Thank you all in advance!

They both have a processor. Windows doesn't work well on either.

Is "L" hardware?Since when?

Please guys only serious answers...It's really important!

Last edited:
diman said:
Is "L" hardware?Since when?

Please guys only serious answers...It's really important!

Important?
Please post your full homework question, so we can complete it for you in a timely manner.

That is the exact question...

"Whatare the differences between PLC's and PC's as far as hardware is concerned" e.g.keyboard,screen,mouse etc

And i have another one but i cannot translate exactly the terms so I'll only make an effort...

"Explain what are the advantages of "efficiency of switching contacts(???)" and "saving installation time(????)" that PLCs have in comparison with classical circuits of automation.

MartB said:
Important?
Please post your full homework question, so we can complete it for you in a timely manner.

Diman

MartB was joking... We don't do your homework for you. If you have a specific problem, ask us. Show us what you already have and we'll help identify problems and suggest improvements. But be prepared to show some effort and initiative.

What have you already learned in your class? What does your book say? The answers are probably right in front of you if you'll look. Homework doesn't typically ask for info that hasn't been covered.

But we won't do your homework for you.

What answers have you come up with so far?

Note: Nobody on this forum will complete your homework for you, my previous comment was meant to be sarcastic.

I didn't ask anyone to do my hopmework..I've asked for some help.Is that so bad?Anyway..I've made a question in a forum for PLCs and that's all!If you don't want to answer,then don't!But please don't be ironic...We aren't all masters in programming like you guys...Excuse us for that!

What ideas do you have so far?? Like I said above, this surely isn't new material. It's already been covered in the book, in the lectures, etc. What have you already learned in class?

We all started "green", too. But you don't learn when others hand it to you.

PCs: Keyboards,mouse,screen,motherboard,CD/DVD ROM
PLCs: Don't have these stuff

PCs & PLCs: I/O units,memory(different size though),CPU

That's all I know...

As far as the other question is concerned...

"efiiciency of switching contacts"...plc have many internal devices such as timres,counters etc giving us the opportunity not to use external stuff and make less wiring..

"aving installation time"...I understand this "term" like this: when we need a change in automation,all we have to do is re-programm tha PLC instead of re-wire the hole ...

Wiki and google are your best friends. There is enough info out in cyberland to answer this question without the help of these forums.

And if you put a drop of effort into this, you would notice an obvious link at the top of the page that will tell you what a PLC is. It is up to you to use your own brain power to come up with the words to explain the differences between a PC and a PLC.

You listed some of the things that PCs have that PLCs dont'. What do PLCs have that PCs don't?

They both have IO, but what are the differences in the IO? (PC IO: printer, mouse, monitor, etc. PLC IO: for you to define )

They both have CPUs, but is there a difference?

What about programming? (PLCs are typically very proprietary, for example. PLCs are always custom programmed, where you can buy "canned programs" for PC... others???)

Durability?? Most PCs won't tolerate an industrial environment.

"Saving installation time" you've understood it perfectly. The major benefit of PLCs is that you change the operation simply by programming. Hardwired systems require physical changes -- sometimes very difficult. Also much easier to troubleshoot because...

There are a few ideas... Think them over and let us hear some of your thoughts as I've led you into the thought process. Help us help you. We love to teach someone who's willing to do what it takes to learn.

This will help the confusion - Omron have been calling their PLCs PCs on and off for years.