please help me with panelview 700

mnguyen

Hello all,

I have to configure a new panelview 700 to communicate with my controllogix processor. I have never work with RSview Studio before. I have been playing around with this software for about 2 weeks now and slowly understanding it, still lots I that I don't know yet.

Here is my problem:
I have design all my graphic with NO tags asign to it. This is because I'm having problem importing my tags from my controlligix processor to my RSview studio application. Currently I am not doing this online to the PLC. I have a backup program to work off.

Someone could be so kind as to help me with this I'd be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Will someone please help me with this problem. I know there are alot of very smart and experience people here that could help.

so please help me with this.

Thank you very much.

I had this problem the browsing of the offline tags, it was very slow, is it possible to assign all the tags once you can go online? if all the other graphics are done it should not take that long.

Is the local communication setup correctly for RSLinx Enterprise?
I think there is a patch to solve the issue of slow off-line tag browsing.

good luck.

To do an Offline Tag Association:
1.go into your communications setup. (I am assuming it is under RS Linx Enterprise)
2.Under your Local Tag Add devices to start drilling down to your processor. you will have to "Stop Browsing" each time you create a new device. (YOU MUST STOP BROWSING IF YOU ARE OFF LINE.)
3. in the left hand plane right click and create a new "Device Shortcut" name it what you will but it must be somehow make sense to you.
4. Click on your processor and the shortcut. They should both be highlighted. Hit "apply"
5.under your offline tag file browse to your ".acd" file and once you have it on the path highlight it with your mouse and once again hit "Apply"
6. Go to your tag through your connections tab on a graphic that is set up to take a tag. Under tag hit the "..." This will take you to a new screen where you can select the folders. RIGHT CLICK on a folder and select "Refresh all folders" Your tags should be there.

I'm not sure about this one. Is the question related to offline tag browsing or communications? It sounded to me like it was about communications so that is what my reply will address. If it really was about tag browsing offline then I apologize.

First thing you must do is create a connection between your ControlLogix and your PanelView. This is done using RSLinx Enterprise in the Application Explorer window. It is found down near the bottom in version 4.0 of the software and up near the top in previous revisions.

Open that by clicking on the plus (+) next to RSLinx Enterprise and then double-clicking on Communications Setup.

If this is the first time you have opened it you will get a prompt asking if you want to copy an existing configuration or create a new one. You want to create a new one.

On the left side of the window that opens up is where you need to create a shortcut. Think of a shortcut as the name for your PLC. You can call it anything you like. You would enter a shortcut for each PLC your PanelView needs to communicate with.

The window on the right has two tabs on the top, Local and Target. On the Local tab you would configure how your PC talks to the PLC. This is for testing the application on your PC. No PanelView is involved on the local tab, just your PC. Think of it strictly as "How does my computer get to the PLC".

The Target tab is where you configure how the PanelView communicates with the PLC. Your PC is not involved on the Target tab. Think of it strictly as "How does my PanelView get to the PLC".

If you can tell us more about how your PV and PLC are communicating then we can provide more details. So, are you using ethernet, serial (DF1), DeviceNet?

OG

Last edited:
sorry i have not gotten back to you guys about this. First I would like thank K35 and Operaghost for you gugs wonderful help. Without both your instructions i would not have gotten this far.

Now i've ran into a major problem. I hope someone will help me again with this.

Recently i've just finished building my application using RSview Studio 4.0. after creating a runtime app i then download it to my panelview 700 plus. then next day my laptop died on me and i had to reformat the laptop. Yes, I've lost all my files :(

Is there a way that i can covert the runtime app that is in the pv700+ to a development app. If there is I really like to know how to do it. It would save me so much time redoing the whole thing.

thank all in advance.

Yes, there is a "round-about" way of doing this.
This has been a topic many times before. Try using the SEARCH function of the forum for some of your answers.

mnguyen said:
Is there a way that i can covert the runtime app that is in the pv700+ to a development app.

I recently heard this ability/feature would be included in a future release of RSView Studio. Anyone know?

There is a manual process for converting most of a *.MER file back into a project. You lose the macros, the alarms, and the parameter files but keep everything else. Call RA Tech Support on that.

Starting in version 5 (aka FactoryTalk View Studio) you'll have the option to include all the "decompile" information in the runtime file to rebuild a project. You can also choose to include none of the decompile information, or to password the function.

The decompile function will be a new button on the Application Manager.

Because older *.MER files won't have the necessary information in them, v5 won't be able to recover those.