OT internet via mobile phone

Jezz

Hi All,
it's Friday afternoon and I'm looking into a connecting my home laptop to the internet via a mobile phone for when we go on holiday (as there are no wifi hotspots near where we are staying) has any one done this (in the UK) ,my mobile provider is virgin mobile and my broadband is BTOpenworld any tips on what type of phone and the best way of doing this would be great..

Thanks

Not sure about the U.K. but most providers sell a connection kit that allow you to do that. Visit your local virgin and ask them about a connection :).

If you have a motorola phone there is a handy set of tools called Motorola Phone Tools. Type this into your favorite torrent site and you will able able to setup a DUN (dialup network connection)
Here in the states broadband phone coverage isn't all that great but it will get er' done. Speeds are a little over dialup.
It's called "tethering"

Hope this helps

Not sure about all cell phone providers but Sprint and Verizon both offer Broadband EVDO pcmcia adapters for connecting laptops to the internet. I know of several people in the Amusement (carnival) industry that travel several months out of the year that use these and like them, it is not dialup and much faster then the older dialup type connections most offered. Basically if your phone works then the Internet connection should. You need to call Virgin and see if they offer this.

Another thought is check with your broadband provider, they may offer a dial-in connection that you can use while traveling or on vacation. If you have regular phone service where you go then an ordinary modem could be used.

More on EVDO: http://www.evdoinfo.com/

Besides EVDO, ask about GPRS and EDGE. For example, my Moto L6 (GSM Quad Band) has GPRS, I use Moto Phone tools to connect it to my laptop (via USB) for internet.

I also have a Sony Ericson GC83 card that fits in my laptop and (using my phone SIM card in it) connects via EDGE, which is 6x faster.

Both are via an unlimited data plan to T-Mobile. You can get hosed on data-by-the-kilobyte planes.

I've used this around the world - except in Japan where they have only 3G phones.

I have set a couple of mates laptops up for net via there mobile (or sim card)

One used a new nokia with usb cable, provider was T Mobile, service 3G, Speed 500K or better

Other was a Vodafone PCMCIA GPRS/3G Card with sim in the card, servoce again 3G/GPRS and when on 3G 500K or better

Near low end broadband speeds

I only know the costs of the T Mobile one £25 a month data unlimited

Setting up was easy on Vodafone, came with CD

T Mobile was a nightmare until i rang tech support, 45 mins later all set and running

It's more phone dependent then provider dependent, they all provide the service, but depending on the phone you have...

Blackberry or Trio, both can do it with a USB cable, you must have a data plan with these phones then you use it just like a VPN or dial up provider
Check with your cell phone provider on what phones they have

Remember when you go on holiday... no working :)

Last edited:
I use an Ipaw 6615 as a GPRS modem - pretty quick really and the setup for use as a USB modem is easy - best thing is that I don't pay a penny for internet access when overseas (though don't tell anyone)