Text Display's

nhicks

Im looking for suggestions on some test diplays.
I need a very simple display for DCV(0-300) and DCA (0-3000A thru 100mV shunt).
I was looking at the EZ-220, but it has 5 buttons. I dont want any customer interaction, its simply a display.
I also looked at the Optimate 440, but I really dont want to purchase programming software, AND a 5V power supply AND a AB cable - for one job.
Id like to find a display similair to these (without the buttons/keys) - that operates on 24V, and either has sharware software, or something $10-20 max.

Anyone have any ideas? The software isnt the worst, if I have to pay up to 30-40 thats fine - but buying a 5V PS on top of that, is overkill!

Thanks!

NH

Hmm. I can't think of any text displays that would be under 50 dollars after the whole unit and software package.

The only small displays I can think of off hand is the Mitsubishi E Series (50, 100, 150) and the Siemens TD100 or 200, but niether of those will be that cheap (not that much more expensive though). They also have a few function keys as well.

Are you doing this through a PLC? First time buyer program from Maple will get you the complete kit for $185.00. Addition units are $179.00. This is a LCD Display, but you can use it for text too.
Do you just want a display without going through the PLC? This one is a controller for $89.00. You can use it as a display. 120 volt power.

Panel meter from Digikey. About $55.00 for LCD. Power is 5 volts.

In all cases, you'll need a resitor divider for the 300 DC input.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses.
I am using an AB ML1200R PLC - but not planning on using it for the LCD - unless I find its just more simple to do.
I have two transducers, with either 4-20 or 0-10 outputs - not sure what we will use, whatever the meter's needed.
I wasnt looking for an entire package under $50 - I figure the meter(s) would cost around $120-$150, I just dont want to pay fo software, when I wont use it much. Id rather find a freeware programming software, or something that might be able to be programmed via RS485.
We are trying to find a meter(s) to take the transducer input directly, to avoid buying the Analog module for the ML, as that will save us the extra $$.
I need to be able to program the meter to out the true value in relation to the 0-10/4-20 input.

NH

nhicks said:
We are trying to find a meter(s) to take the transducer input directly, to avoid buying the Analog module for the ML, as that will save us the extra $$.
I need to be able to program the meter to out the true value in relation to the 0-10/4-20 input.

NH

I think you will find that if you take the cost of your time into account that you will spend more money than you will if you would use conventional wisdom and parts. You will also find that if you kludge something together, you will be it's sole support and forever at the mercy of the bad elfs that tend to mess these things up at 3 in the morning.

Having a real HMI in the system has so many other benefits for diagnostics and functionality that I think they should be standard on almost every PLC out there. There are even safety reasons since with an HMI you can determine the I/O states and do initial troubleshooting without opening the enclosure door.

Save yourself some time and your company some money and buy the analog I/O and a simple HMI. You will not regret it.

Norm, I actually do agree with you 100%.
My boss'es typically dont see it that way though!
Worst case, I say there is no cheap viable way to do it, and I just buy the Idec HG1F that the rep has been pushing on us - for the price, I can give it a shot!

Neil,

You can also reduce your cost by selecting a different controller. If your boss' are concerned about cost, AB is by far not the least expensive option available.

Stephen - I agree with you. AB is never the cheapest.
But in most of our cases, the PLC is typically spec'ed out ahead of time, as are most other major components. This one job is one of the few that the meters arent speced out as Yokogawa or Crompton switchboard type.

In the end, the customer didnt want the "remote" panel - so we went with simple Crompton Fiesta switchboard meters.
I do appreciate the input and suggestions from everyone!

NH