SLC & E-Net

rkukl

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am working on a project that has a SLC 500 with two racks of remote I/O. I am upgrading to C-Logix and would like to remove the SLC processor and Remote I/O.
Any suggestions of a network module that could be added into the SLC chassis? I would prefer to use E-Net.

Thanks Rich

This is a conversation I've had a lot of times with A-B marketing reps, and the short answer is that the only protocol that's compatible with both ControlLogix and the 1746 I/O system is A-B Universal Remote I/O (RIO).

You can put a 1756-DHRIO in scanner mode in your ControlLogix chassis, and use 1747-ASB adapters on the SLC chassis.

Although the 1747-ACNR adapter can also control an entire SLC chassis, it is not compatible with the 1756-CNB(R) bridges for the ControlLogix.

There are no plans that I know about for A-B to build an EtherNet/IP adapter for the 1746 or 1771 series of I/O chassis.

I’ve used remote I/O on another project and it worked ok. Was hoping to avoid it this time one would think with their push to use E-net they would have a better solution. But guess NOT!

rkukl said:
I am working on a project that has a SLC 500 with two racks of remote I/O. I am upgrading to C-Logix and would like to remove the SLC processor and Remote I/O.
Any suggestions of a network module that could be added into the SLC chassis? I would prefer to use E-Net.

Thanks Rich

How about using ControlNet using the 1747-ACN15 in each 1747 Rack

OkiePC said:
ControlLogix 1756-CNB cannot control SLC i/o this way. A PLC-5 with C-Net can, however.

Thanks for straighting me out, I just checked the available communications devices and the 1747-ACN is not there