machine safety

mphayes

Hello I just found this board and thought it might be a good place for a safety discussion. Please excuse me if the subject matter is not relevant.

What I am trying to determine is if a machine disconnect qualifies as a category 0 stop function under NFPA 79 9.2.5.3. On most of our equipment we use a Category 1 controlled stop for E-Stop. This provides us with a .5 second delay to relieve tooling pressures caused by stopping.

I believe, it would qualify for stop as long as the disconnect is close to (witin arm's reach) operator's panel.

Disconnect for machine stopping.

mphayes

It is a bad idea to use a disconnect to stop a machine. If the machine is of the type that draws high current then it could be very dangerous and possibly life threatening. One should never open a disconnect when it is under load, stop the machine first then open the disconnect.
If I misunderstood the question, “never mind”.

Roger

There have been many posts regarding M/C safety.
What type of machine is this and what is the risk of human contact with moving parts or trap spaces?