How to download to a SLC500 AB PLC

Johnny T

Hi all,

I've got a couple of really simple questions for any Allen Bradley afficianado's out there...

I'm very familiar with Siemens gear but I'm doing a job on an Allen Bradley SLC500 at the mo and need some help...

Firstly, is there a quick way to edit a rung(s) without right clicking it and choosing "Start Edits" then "Accept Edits", "Test Edits" etc etc?

Is there anyway of bypassing all this as its fine for just a few changes but can be a pain for lots of mods.

Next question... I tried to add a new LAD module to my program today but could only access the "New" command on the right click menu on Program Files if I came offline. Once I've added a new LAD to my Program Files list how do I download it to the PLC without the PLC going offline?

Whenever I "download" the PLC threatens to go into "Prog" mode and (I presume) would go offline which I don't want. Is there any way to get my new LAD into the PLC while its still running?

Sorry for my complete ignorance here. I have used Allen Bradley before but never been shown.. I've always just fudged my way through. Some pointers to these simple tasks would be great.

Many thanks

John ;-)

Johnny T said:
Hi all,

I've got a couple of really simple questions for any Allen Bradley afficianado's out there...

I'm very familiar with Siemens gear but I'm doing a job on an Allen Bradley SLC500 at the mo and need some help...

Firstly, is there a quick way to edit a rung(s) without right clicking it and choosing "Start Edits" then "Accept Edits", "Test Edits" etc etc?

Is there anyway of bypassing all this as its fine for just a few changes but can be a pain for lots of mods.

Next question... I tried to add a new LAD module to my program today but could only access the "New" command on the right click menu on Program Files if I came offline. Once I've added a new LAD to my Program Files list how do I download it to the PLC without the PLC going offline?

Whenever I "download" the PLC threatens to go into "Prog" mode and (I presume) would go offline which I don't want. Is there any way to get my new LAD into the PLC while its still running?

Sorry for my complete ignorance here. I have used Allen Bradley before but never been shown.. I've always just fudged my way through. Some pointers to these simple tasks would be great.

Many thanks

John ;-)

As to your first question the answer is no unless you want to do it offline. If your debugging you can just go as far as test edits to test your logic and then assemble them all when you are done. If you don't like the right-click business there is a tool bar above the ladder editior that you can use, it's what I generally do.

Second question, no you can added ladder rungs to your hearts content while online but you can't add a new ladder file. Likewise you can not add or resize a data table either.

If you download, the processor has to go into program mode. And yes the processor will stop. So to answer your question, no you can't.

I would suggest reading some of the posts that Ron Beaufort has made in regards to the ins and outs of AB stuff, he seems to have a way of explaining things that anyone (even me) can understand.

BTW, I find doing these types of things hard to do with Siemens, it just depends what you are used to

allscott

A big thanks for your post mate. I'll have a look tomorrow for the icons at the top for doing the 'test edits' etc..

I'll have to do the edits in an existing LAD file if I can't mod them and download them 'online'..

Strange way of doing things this (from my Siemens world).. In Siemens you only have to stop the processor if you are changing the hardware config. Still.. as long as I know what I can and can't do then I can adapt.

Many thanks once again

Cheers

JT ;-)

I should have mentioned that the tool bar I was talking about doesn't appear unless you are online so don't waste your time looking for it while offline.

Also note that these "rules" do not necessarily apply across all of the AB products, and remember the slc500 line is getting a little long in the tooth.

Like I said it's what you are used to, I find it strange that siemens hasn't figured out a cpt instruction yet.

Last edited:
allscott

It is ALL to do with what you are used to. I think AB do indirect addressing a lot simpler than Siemens from what I've read.

It was my first day using AB in six years today so I think that by the end of play tomorrow I should be flying around the software...

Thanks again mate

JT ;-)

Johnny T said:
allscott

It is ALL to do with what you are used to. I think AB do indirect addressing a lot simpler than Siemens from what I've read.

It was my first day using AB in six years today so I think that by the end of play tomorrow I should be flying around the software...

Thanks again mate

JT ;-)

Just another wee tip, you can start edits by double clicking on a rung while online.
Also you can accept a whole bunch at the same time if you click the top of the edits hold down the shift key and click the last rung of your edits, they should all go red, then go through the test, compile, ****.

cheers

myles

first of all, thanks to allscott for the kind compliments ...

and to Johnny T, you're probably ok with the excellent answers that my distinguished colleague allscott has already given you ... still there are a few questions that you haven't asked yet (but probably will eventually) and most of them are covered in this thread ...

PS Edit: your life with AB will be much easier if you'll remember the following definitions:

"download" means to replace the ENTIRE program in the processor with another ENTIRE program from your computer ... the processor can NOT keep running while this operation is going on ...

to send a new rung to the processor should not be called a download ... instead we say that we "accept" the rung ... that operation sends only the new rung over to the processor ... in most (but not all) cases, this CAN be done while the processor keeps on running and controlling the equipment ...

quick analogy: "downloading" is a giant step ... "accepting" is a baby step ...

next ... in AB talk, the term "online" means that the programming terminal is COMMUNICATING with the processor ... the term "offline" means that the programming terminal is NOT communicating with the processor ...

specifically, the terms "online" and "offline" have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with whether the processor is actually running the program and controlling the equipment ...

finally (for now) try to be more specific when you refer to your processor ... you do NOT have an SLC-500 that you're working with ... I know that because the SLC-500 doesn't allow "online" programming ... specifically, you MUST go "offline" to make ANY changes to the program of an SLC-500 - and then "download" the entire program (with the changes) into the processor ...

what you actually have there is an SLC-5/03, or an SLC-5/04, or an SLC-5/05 ... all of these "higher" type processors DO allow "online" programming ... the actual model number can be read on the front - and at the very top - of the processor ...

now then ... the name "SLC-500" is something of a generic term which is used to refer to ANY of the SLC processors ... but there actually IS indeed a model SLC-500 - a small "brick" type affair ... it was the first of the line - and all of the following SLCs sort of inherited the family name ... that's very confusing to a lot of people ... you can save yourself a lot of trouble by using the specific model number (example: SLC-5/04) when you're referring to a processor which is more advanced than the simple SLC-500 ... the various models have quite a few differences ...

hope this helps ... good luck with your project ...

Last edited: