1756-ENBT problems

kbradray

I am using an existing contrologix bridge to try and get out to the plant floor from the plant business network.

I have a controllogix bridge (no cpu) communicating from the business network to a plc 5. This was done prior to my arrival to the company. It was installed in a procured machine so that outside the plant troubleshooting could occur. Here is the setup with my questions:

The current system used a 1756-ENET/B in a controllogix chassis through the backplane and out of a DHRIO card so that the PLC 5 could be monitored. The IP address of the 1756-ENET/B is 206.44.61.19 (subnet 255.255.255.0) which is local to the plant business network. I can successfully navigate to the backplane and PLC 5 with this current setup. I have installed a 1756-ENBT to try and start my plant floor network. This is where the trouble begins. I was able to successfully configure the new ENBT via the plant business network with an IP address of 192.168.0.100 (255.255.255.0) which is the same subnet as my SLC 5/05 processors (192.168.0.110/111) I cannot navigate via linx to the processors. I have tested the cat. 5 cable with a LAN Rover tester and they tested good (straight through cable). I can navigate through the port on the switch at the SLC 5/05 with my computer, but I cannot use the new cable from my ENBT cabinet to the SLC cabinet through the same port. My cable run is 397 feet as determined by the tester and the switch is a FL 10BASE-T from Wago.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Ken

Browsing cross a Logix backplane

I'm not completely clear on whether you think the problem is with the Ethernet system or something with the 1756-ENxx modules or with RSLinx.

I think you're saying that you can connect to the SLC-5/05 controllers on the 192.168.0.xxx network when you're plugged in locally with a short Ethernet patch cable, but not when you're plugged in with the very long Ethernet cable.

Is that correct ? In that case the problem is your cable. 397 feet is a little longer than the traditional 100 meter maximum for Cat5 Ethernet cable, though experience shows you can stretch that limit a little.

If the question is how to browse through the ControlLogix gateway from the 206.44.61.xx network to the 192.168.0.xxx network, follow this procedure:

Start on the 206.44.61.xxx network and browse using RSLinx/RSWho to the 1756-ENET/B module.

Browse to the 1756 backplane, then browse to the 1756-ENBT/A module and select the "Ethernet" network connected underneath that -ENBT. Right-click and select "Properties".

There will be a table in which you put the IP addresses of the SLC-5/05 controllers you want to browse.

Similar to this screenshot:

browse_enbt.GIF

Thanks Ken

Ken,

As always you have saved the day. I found a bad crimp on the module end. I re-connected the ethernet connector and still could not communicate throught the backplane until I re-read your post. I went in to properties and now have what I want to see.

Many thanks again.

Ken B.