AB DeviceNet tag generator

AJZ

I used the DeviceNet tag generator to generate tags for a Ultra 3000 drive that is on a DeviceNet network. (RSNetworx V8)
Instead of creating a DINT tag for the feedback data value it creates 32 BOOLs named 'DeviceNet_Scanner_N01_POL_I.FdbkDataValue_0', 'DeviceNet_Scanner_N01_POL_I.FdbkDataValue_1', 'DeviceNet_Scanner_N01_POL_I.FdbkDataValue_2', etc.
It does a similar thing for the Output Datavalues.

Is there a simple method of combining these 32 BOOLs into a DINT or seperating a DINT into 32 seperate BOOLs? Can I force the DeviceNet tag generator utility to generate DINT somehow?
Using 32 bit moves seems inefficient.

AJZ said:
I used the DeviceNet tag generator to generate tags for a Ultra 3000 drive that is on a DeviceNet network. (RSNetworx V8)
Instead of creating a DINT tag for the feedback data value it creates 32 BOOLs named 'DeviceNet_Scanner_N01_POL_I.FdbkDataValue_0', 'DeviceNet_Scanner_N01_POL_I.FdbkDataValue_1', 'DeviceNet_Scanner_N01_POL_I.FdbkDataValue_2', etc.
It does a similar thing for the Output Datavalues.

Is there a simple method of combining these 32 BOOLs into a DINT or seperating a DINT into 32 seperate BOOLs? Can I force the DeviceNet tag generator utility to generate DINT somehow?
Using 32 bit moves seems inefficient.
Simplest solution is to edit the UDT or create your own.

The DeviceNet tag generator automatically generates well-described tags for the DeviceNet devices associated with a Logix Programmable Automation Controller; no more researching through manuals; eliminating word and bit counting in a huge array of data. Now available with RSNetWorx 7.00 and higher, the free DeviceNet Automatic Tag Generator Tool will do all this in five easy-to-use steps.
See http://www.rockwellautomation.com/solutions/integratedarchitecture/resources.html#dnetvideo
for a link to a small video clip.

I had to try it out for myself to understand that the Feedback Data portion of the UDT created by the DNet Tag Generator is (sometimes) a sequence of BOOL elements.

I think I understand why the DNet Tag Generator utility had a hard time with this UDT. I tried Input Assembly 12, which has 5 bytes worth of boolean status data before the 4-byte Feedback Data Value.

If the DNet Tag Generator had made the Feedback Data Value a DINT type, the UDT structure would have left three empty bytes between the sequence of BOOLs and the 32-bit boundary it needs to start new DINT elements on. Then it wouldn't have matched up with the actual data in the 1756-DNB Input table.

This is also why you can't just delete the 32 BOOLS in the UDT definition and replace them with one DINT element.

I recall running into this back when I was creating UDTs manually to work with the Ultra 3000i. I ended up doing "advanced mapping" in RSNetworx to shift that Feedback value to a place where it would match up to the UDT structure.

In my test project today, I changed the Input data assembly on the Ultra 3000i to Assembly 11, which naturally has the Feedback Data Value begin on a 32-bit boundary. The DNet Tag Generator then created the Feedback Data element in the UDT as a DINT element.

What should you do ? I'd probably go the brute-force route and write 32 XIC - OTE rungs and hide them off in a subroutine.