Installing STEP7

Krisz

Hi all!

I've got a problem with installing STEP7 Professional. I've already done this on two desktop PCs, now I would like to use (finally) a notebook.
Ok, the message is:
<b>Run time error '28'.
Out of stack space.<b>

The notebook's specifications:
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4320
Intel PIII 600 MHz
64 MB RAM
Windows 98

Can somebody help? Did anybody meet with this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Krisz

Sorry, I did some mistakes with the html tags.
Again, without trying to make it bold:

Run-time error '28'.
Out of stack space.

Krisz

Hello !
I think that you need MUCH more memory !! (min 128Mb, recommended at least 256 Mb) the program uses ~90 Mb when it's running at full speed and if you do not have the memory space it will use the harddisk all the time.

You can try to increase the virtual memory space.
Remember to close the virus-scanners it can produce those errors to.

Thanks the immediate answers, but still doesn't work.

I've read the FAQ at Siemens, uninstalled MicroWin, cleared the registry. Then I tried again. I got the same result.
In the FAQ number 10555537 there is a snapshot. Actually when I tried to install I didn't get even to see that blue background picture. :(

I know that the RAM is insufficient but the Windows can make as big swap file as it wants.
There is no virus scanner installed at the moment.

I've read another FAQ at Siemens, number 8250891. There is a compatibility chart. In the $Win98$V5.2 :) cell there is X with some additional information: Win98 SE required.
Maybe this is the problem... :rolleyes:

Krisz

Krisz

You might be right on that, I have just checked all my windoze 98 machines running step7, and all on them are Windoze 98 SE.

Let us know how you get on.

Paul

I think you are waiting your time with that computer. First, it is, most likely old and slow. Not having enough memory is going to even slower. I think the MINIMUM operating system is 98E and Siemens is going to stop supporting everything except win200 pro and winxp pro. I am running v 5.1 on a bunch of Toshiba laptops with win 98SE and 96meg of ram.

I will agree on the WIN98SE issue but disagree on the statements pertaining to WIN2K and XP. Siemens has barely supported XP yet, even though they have made releaase for it.

I noticed that Krisz did NOT state what version Step 7 he was running but what I have was on a Toshiba Satellite with Win95.

I have Simatic Step 7 version 5 installed an running on a WIN98SE IBM Thinkpad 300mhz with 64 MEG ram and a WinXP Compaq 1712 with 128MEG ram. Either can run it OK but my CP5511 has problems with both..I have conquered these problems but it wasnt easy.

If you can upgrade to WIN98Se then do so. You may want to attempt a reinstall or run System File Checker..ie SFC to verify no corrupt files. This can be done by going to RUN and typing in SFC.

Hi there!

I've ugraded this Win98 GUI (somewhere they call it an OS) to Win98SE. I put the CD into the drive... and then I got the same error message. :-(

I just recognized that I've STEP7 v5.1 SP3. I was sure that I have the version 5.2. At the Siemens site in that compatibility chart there is nothing special mentioned at v5.1 with Win98. The say it works.
I know that this computer is a little bit old, but I have to use this until I get my new one. Actually this is only a temporary solution, and I think it's better not to mention what I used before.
I hope STEP7 will work on that machine. (Toshiba Satellite 2410-404).

Krisz

Krisz

This sounds like a windows problem, have a look in your CONFIG.SYS file and see if the maximum number of stacks is stated, if not add the following line(s):-

STACKS=65,512;
FILES=60
BUFFERS=40

Save your changes and reboot windows 98 and try the installation again.

The 'STACKS' limit is the maximum number allowed.

Paul

Sounds like a corrupt file...gave you tried SFC to check the files?

Just for GP...clean the CD, try using toothpaste or any soap and water then dry with lint free cloth. The toothpaste acts like a very fine abrasive and can remove small scratches that create problems.

May want to run windows update: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com