PLC Knowledge

Charlie Mike

My first post, hurray.

First off, I just want to say hello to everyone and thanks in advance for reading this. I recently received an honorable discharge from the Marine Corps and now have gotten myself employed in the wonderful world of automated industry. I have the electronics experience that my boss was looking for when he hired me, but I lack the PLC knowledge that we need to make things run smoother without calling someone from AB or Siemens out to fix things

Welcome to the forum.

A good place to start is the "Learn PLC's" link at the top of the page.

If you have a specific question make sure to state all of the relevant information (PLC type, software used, process, machine history etc....) and you will get lots of help here. The level of support you get is directly proportional to the quality of question that you ask.

good luck

Charlie Mike said:
My first post, hurray.

First off, I just want to say hello to everyone and thanks in advance for reading this. I recently received an honorable discharge from the Marine Corps and now have gotten myself employed in the wonderful world of automated industry. I have the electronics experience that my boss was looking for when he hired me, but I lack the PLC knowledge that we need to make things run smoother without calling someone from AB or Siemens out to fix things

Since you are in North Carolina you are in a good area for training. Ron Beaufort is one of the best here and teaches AB http://www.ronbeaufort.com/ He is in SC.

Siemens USA has a facility in east TN plus online: http://www.sitrain.com/html_76/f_11.html

Welcome aboard -- and Thanks for your service!!

We all love to help and teach around here. If you have specific questions, let us know and someone will likely know an answer. Like allscott said, help us to help you by giving us as much information as possible.

There's lots of good experience and good teachers here!

Greetings Charlie Mike ...

first of all, thank you for serving ...

and welcome to the forum ...

be sure to check your Private Messages ... sometimes new members miss the flashing banner ...

pm_banner.JPG

and thanks to Mickey and rsdoran for the kind compliments ...

Congratulations on the discharge, and thanks for serving the rest of us in the States.

Most Allen Bradley distributors (and many Siemens ones too) have training courses that range from basic to advanced. They can be pretty pricey, but in the long run they are cheaper than service calls. Many distributors will package a course with a purchase of programming software.

I would start with the book at the top of the page as well as the other references listed. Then contact your distributor(s) about their training courses. Some courses are just PR for new products, but many are very good instructional courses on programming concepts and applications.