Square D Symax model 50

cdisher

Today I was asked to asked to help the maintenence people get one of the machines up and running again. I have been retired 8 years and had not worked with this controller for some time. The programming cable had broken conductors and was replaced with a new one from Sq. D. We are getting communications timeout messages along with protocol error 1028 messages. I have checked the port assignment, baud rate, drop number, memory size and still no communications. It appears to transfer the program but there is nothing there. When you try to go to run mode, you get communications timeout. The hand held programmer will load simple program and the processor will go into the run mode. I am beginning to suspicion the new cable. Am I overlooking something? This is the old DOS software. Thanks in advance.

The Model 50 software does not communicate reliably on computers faster than 15-25Mhz. You need to run a program that will effectively slow down your computer. In the old days I used SLODOS although there are/were other freeware programs available.

I remember the Model 50 was programmed with RS422. Check your cabling.
This unit is the same as a Idec FA1J, but I think Square D put a different EPROM in it to work with their software.