upload from PLC to PC - Urgent

paul56

Dear All,

When uploading from PLC to PC do the comments (which were originally part of the ladder diagram) also get uploaded e.g various descriptive texts on the different FBDs, on the purpose of groups of rungs, component nomenclature, etc. I am interested in such info on the Mitsubishi FX0N, 1N, 2N., Siemens S-200, GE- Versamax , Allen Bradley Micrologix 1000, Messung XMP, ABB PLCs.

Could anyone with actual uploading experience let me know ASAP.

Regds
Paul

once you've uploaded your ladder from micro-logix if you have a text file already on your pc for that program, you would need to export it from pc file and import it into your ladder program if you would like documentation on your ladder. If you don't have a text file for that program I would make one when you have time for future reference. It makes trouble shooting by far easier.

As Fred has stated the some of the Mitsubishi FX have this and also the Q series can store all comments in the processor.

But you also have to have the memory available in the CPU, your comments can take up a lot of memory, but I would suggest it, if you can.

I always over size my processor

Thanks so far guys, I'm interested in knowing the situation for the other PLCs that I've mentioned too.

Is it usual for industrial manufacturers to include AND STORE such commnents on the PLC (when downloading their programs to the PLC), for possible use later when uploading back to PC? e.g. those who use Mitsu FX0N, 1N, 2N???
Paul

Paul,

In the past the comment and symbol databases were NEVER stored on the PLC, but only resided on the programming computer. The reason was that the earlier PLC's did not have enough memory to allow this. Newer PLCS (the larger ones such at the mentioned Mitsubishi and Allen Bradley ControlLogix and ProcessLogic) now have enough to allow this, at least for smaller programs. The small low-end PLCS (Micrologix 1000) still do not have enough memory.

I did find it interesting when I went to a Siemens presentation recently. They were demoing some S7-200 stuff. Their 200 plcs had an added expansion slot that could be used basically as a jump drive, and you could store a copy of the offline program there if you wished. Then that offline file (with the comments) would follow the processor where ever it went.

I do not know if this is of any help but the Omron CP1, CJ1 and CS1 PLCs have a separate memory area for storing symbols/comments etc in the standard package. Check with Omron. I do not believe the comments take up any of the program memory.

Dear ALL,
1. I have tried to upload from Mitsu's FX1N to Melsoc Medoc software (DOS) installed on my HP Pavillion Laptop which has no serial ports only USB. I used a BF 810 USB to serial cable from BAFO and the SC09 converter circuit for RS422 to RS232 (uses 75179 and Max202E ICs). On trying to transfer from PLC to Medoc, after 4 retries the software says: No reply from PLC. Any suggestions please?

2. My laptop shows the usb ports as COM 7,8,9. Does this matter or do we have to connect the communicattion cable only to COM1....?

3. What are the GPP and 'Others' options for on the software? I've tried to download manuals for this software however nothing is sufficiently detailed.

As I can't dump my laptop or job, useful, speedy replies would be very much appreciated.

Regds
Paul

Hi Paul,
Mitsubishi tech support informed me the other day that using melse medoc on any windows based pc won't work. They said that it would appear asif it was working but that is all. I'v been working with an old F1 plc.
I feel your pain
Dean

1. You need proper tools for the job. Buy or borrow proper SC-09 cable and PC with serial port. There are some DIY cables which are much simpler. USB to RS232 converters may work (mine does) but this is by no means guaranteed. People have reported good experience with certain brands such as Keyspan etc. At todays prices brand new laptops are dirt cheap, used ones (with RS232) are bargain such as $100-200 (often with OS). If you love your job, you may try investing a bit.

2. This depends entirely on your software. GX Developer will allow you to choose COM port. I've been different COM ports without issues.

3. GPP is old, it has not been replaced but evolved into GX Developer. there is FX version which is less expensive but obviously only works for FX series PLCs (not the very old F series such as F1 or F2).
Medoc as far as I know is obsolete but you can check all software versions and compatibility on www.meau.com (just click on Products, Software, Current Software Versions). It's all in one page, I wish other manufacturers followed example of this website.

Last edited:
Paul56,
I use Medoc F/A 2.30 sometimes. You can change the com ports 1-9 by going to Tranfer-Setup. You can also change the 232 setup here. Good luck. There were some functions that Medoc had that GX is missing. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys.
I shall check and revert on ur suggestions. I've been using the default commn. settings of Medoc for F1XN like 9600, 7bit word length, even parity, one stop bit. My Medoc runs on Win XP bundled with the HP Pavillion laptop. Are these settings OK or do I have to change to 19200, 8,ODD, 2stop bits or any other? I'm sure there must be a way out of this if even a few have succeeded with the USB to serial cable - the computer can only be consistently right or consistently wrong.

Incidentally I have not used the SC09 cable but the circuit between the RS422 and RS232 as shown on:
http://www.control.com/1026147070/index_html (Paul Miller)

"http://www.btinternet.com/~paul416/":http://www.btinter net.com/~paul416/

I shall also try out Sergei's cable:
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=609%20-%20149k%20-

Regds,
Paul