Controllogix as PLC-5 RIO Rack

krs804

I have added a reject system to a piece of equipment that is on a PLC-5 remote rack. The response time is fine most of the time, but sometimes misses the mark. I want to place a CLX rack on the equipment and use 7 digital I/O cards as a RIO rack to the PLC-5, and 1 local output card controlled by the CLX, all in the same chassis. I need to use the existing DH+ cable for both the RIO and programming the CLX remotely. I think this will be a fairly simple process but I'd like any input.

Thanks.

What is currently controlling the PLC5 I/O?

If you plan on keeping a PLC5, you may want to conider trading it for an adpater module, then control the whole 1771 system with one CPU + 1756-DHRIO for the 1771 I/O scanner (I think other faster options are available...) And throw in an ENET card for easy laptop/network access, plus I/O cards required for super high speed I/O...

Paul

Not quite like that, no. The 1756-DHRIO doesn't have an adapter mode, so you can't use 1756 series I/O modules under the control of a PLC-5 controller.

If you were running ControlNet, there would be more options for sharing data between a PLC-5 and a local Logix controller.

I think for a fast-reaction reject system with a small amount of I/O, I'd go with a MicroLogix and some sort of hardwire interface to the PLC-5 rack.

A new company policy prevents us from installing anything other than CLX without going through a long process, so MicroLogix is out of the question. It may be time to upgrade everything to CLX and be done with it. I guess I know where my weekends will be spent next month. Thanks for your help.