Quick Red Lion Question

consys

I have been asked to assist with a small job. Currently the spec asks for..
An RTU capable of communicating via RS422/485 to multiple Power Meters using modbus. RTU is required to interogate meters for basic measurements (V, I etc) and to calculate kWhr. This data is to made available to SCADA system.
As yet we do not what SCADA system but are going to work on the SCADA being able to communicate Modbus TCPIP. My initial thoughts were to configure an RTU to interrogate the meters via Modbus , do it's calculations to work out power consumption etc. Then provide the real-time data and calculated data via Modbus TCPIP all reasonably straight forward. Noticed the last post mentioned Red-Lion's DataStation Plus. I know it can handle the comms to Modbus Power meters and the ethernet comms to parent SCADA possibly thru Modbus but I figure red lion probably has more options for talking to SCADA systems that may be better. What I don't know is ..how easy/straight forward is it in the DataStaion to write some code that will 1: Do my calculations and 2: Set up some form of data-logging so that if parent SCADA doesn't connect for a period of time we will not loose data.

Thanks

The Initial site may have only 3 or 4 meters. The client wants a total power comsumption. For this site yes, simplest solution would be to upgrade the meters but on other possible sites there could be 20 - 30 meters or more, we have been asked to allow for multiple comm ports either to cater for the 32 node max. or possibly distance issues. When we get into these sort of numbers it starts to make more sense to collect all these meters into a single location for retrieval by parent SCADA.

consys said:
What I don't know is ..how easy/straight forward is it in the DataStaion to write some code that will 1: Do my calculations and 2: Set up some form of data-logging so that if parent SCADA doesn't connect for a period of time we will not loose data.

Thanks

Datalogging can be done to a CF onboard or can be ftp'd to a pc

What sort of calculations ?

There are a couple of RedLion presentations here on programming and logging.

Last edited:
Setting us up should prove pretty easy. Feel free to contact Control Logic, our Rep/Distributor in Australia, I am willing to bet that Greg has a DSP or at least a G3 that you may be able to borrow for some preliminary testing if needed.

Regards,
Dan

Thanks Guys. I figured it would be relatively straight forward, just wanted to make sure. As far as calculations go just basic stuff, Power consumed since last reset etc. Total Power consumed from entire site etc.

consys said:
Thanks Guys. I figured it would be relatively straight forward, just wanted to make sure. As far as calculations go just basic stuff, Power consumed since last reset etc. Total Power consumed from entire site etc.

Power consumed since last reset could be done in the G3, although depending on the meter it may have this capability built in and you can just read it over on modbus. Total power for the site would be easy to calculate, you wouldnt even need to do programming just use a Formulae Tag on the G3 to add all applicable tags together.