Serial printer

Gabriel577

I'm looking for a way to print data to a printer from a SLC5/04. I have a PanelView 550 connected to the slc via ProfiBus, which has an available serial port, or i can use the slc serial port. Does anyone have suggestions of a setup that works? Any perticular printer?

You can use the AWA- ASCII Write Append comand and related to use the serial port. You can find them in the command reference in RSLogix. You can send any strings you want out the SLC serial port.

You can also use the printer port on the Panelview. It depends where the data you want to print originates.

I don't have much time right now to go deeper, but if you look at the help files for both RSLogix and Panelbuilder, there are explanation of how to do it.

Any perticular printer?
Any serial printer should work. You just need to set the baud, parity and stop bits the same on both systems.

I have a PanelView 550 connected to the slc via ProfiBus, which has an available serial port
To use the panelview you would most likely want to investigate the "Print Only" objects. They work like multi-state indicators that get sent out the serial port. Note, you can use this also to send data out to another computer, it's not just for printers!

To stuff information into the print only messages, use embedded variables (check the help).

For my money, this would be the way I would look at first.