Connecting ML1500 with Laptop for programming

neerajpuranik

Friends I have ALLEN BRADLEY 1764-28BXB MICROLOGIX 1500 1764-LSP PLC in our packing machine. It is connected to E200 ( operator panel, make - Beijer) with serial cable attached at its only communication port. Is it possible for me to go online with this PLC by removing this cable & attaching AB1761-CBL-PM02 cable there & other end of cable directly at Laptop's real 9-pin RS232 port. After that, opening RSlinx & configuring RS232-DF1 device driver & autoconfiguration.
I checked the manual of ML1500 but everywhere they have shown connection through AIC+ module. Is it compulsory to use AIC+ in case of ML1500. I remember in the past I had done same with ML1200/ML1100 but reading all these manuals I am a bit confused now.
Kindly advice.

You do not need the AIC+ module. I believe the module is recommended because it provides optical isolation.

I believe the e200 has a passthrough mode where you can attach a cable to the e200 to monitor the plc through the connection already present also in this mode the hmi functions still work

mel_w said:
I believe the e200 has a passthrough mode where you can attach a cable to the e200 to monitor the plc through the connection already present also in this mode the hmi functions still work
Wow, pls explain couple of more things like which cable to be used, will it work through RSLinx & RSLogix 500, which driver to be used in RSlinx. If any manuel is there pls forward.
Thanks
Neeraj

http://f.ipc2u.de/files/add/doc/776/MAC E Programming.pdf
this link is for the manual for the mac
the cable is a cab 5 i think http://hmi.beijerelectronics.com/web/kabelguiden.nsf/0/74B283BFE3C0536CC1256B56004F47E0/$FILE/3300k1.pdf
but check with your supplier I have mainly used this method with mitsubishi plc`s and you normally use the plc software just as if it were connected to the plc port (i.e RS LOGIX 500 and R.S linx) the driver is usually df1 but depends it could have a dh485 driver in the hmi and be communicating with plc via dh485 The hmi needs to be in passthrough mode to work

Point #1 Does not the ML1500 have two RS232 communication ports?
Why not just connect your PC to the port not currently connected to the HMI.

Point #2 Pass-through mode with the Beijer/Mitsubishi HMI. This is possible, but also dependent on your PC and RSLinx version and set-up.

Assuming you are using the E200's RS232 port to connect to the PLC, you can use a CAB6 cable (Mits/Beijer part) which will connect your PC's RS232 port with the HMI's RS422 port (there is a converter built in to the cable)In the configuration of the HMI you need to configure the RS422 port for tranparent mode.

Then you should be able to go online with the plc with your pc while connected only to the hmi.

The terminal will go in a pass through mode while this communications is occurring.

Thanks Izabela for your valuable time. As I have explained in my first post I am using ALLEN BRADLEY 1764-28BXB MICROLOGIX 1500 1764-LSP PLC . I see only one communication port ( I think its COM 0 ). I am unable to find another COM port as seen in ML1200 Left side. There is no port visible in left side of ML1500 PLC which I am using.
There is one more question I would like to ask you - Once I have connected to PLC thru' E200 RS232 port with CAB6 cable (Mits/Beijer part), which program should I open first.
Should I go the conventional way of opening RSLinx --> configuring driver ( which driver in this case? ) --> open RSLogix 500 or is it possible for me to directly open RSLogix 500 --> Comms --> who's active go online & I will get online?
Pls explain

neerajpuranik said:
I am using ALLEN BRADLEY 1764-28BXB MICROLOGIX 1500 1764-LSP PLC . I see only one communication port ( I think its COM 0 )
I got the reason why I see only one port in my ML1500 PLC. Pls look at the attached pic & I am also giving the details of AB publication where I find it:

Publication 1764-UM001B-EN-P - April 2002​

Page No. 1-6​
Hardware Overview​

" The 1764-LRP processor provides an additional communication port. Each of the communications ports can be independently configured for any supported communication protocol. (Channel 0 is on the base unit and Channel 1 is on the 1764-LRP processor.)"​

Last edited:
I would configure the driver / connection while directly connected from pc to plc first, then connecting thru the terminal should be no different. Then it would be up to you has to what you did first.