PLC5/03 RS-232 can't connect. Error: 0x4

Hal_9000

Hi, Im unable to connect to a SLC5/03 via COM1 of my PC (using null modem cable, of course). When I try to connect, I get an error code of 0x4. When I try to run comms driver diagnostic I get the same error code. My build number of RSLinx is 2.42.00 (build 18) if this helps. Any ideas ?

What comm driver are you using? By default the SLC channel 0 is DF1, but can be DH485, ASCII. Have you tried autoconfigure?
Do you have the offline file to look and see how channel 0 is configured?

I don't know what that error code is.

Last edited:
I used Auto-Configure to set things up. I checked my offline configuration and both 00 (my PC) and 01 (my SLC-5/03) are defined to use driver AB_DF1-1. RS-Logix says it can communicate with my PC but not the SLC-5/03. .....?????

Is the SLC5/03 running ( no faults, and controlling your process?)
Were you ever able to communicate with this SLC ?
Can you post your .RSS file for the SLC and maybe a screen shot of your RSLinx configuration?

If the 503 is set up on DH485, then you need to use the DH485 emulator driver in RSLinx.

Try to set up this driver and see what happens. You can always delete the driver.

Some times people forget to save the changes after changing a channel configuration.

Last edited:
I had something wrong in an earlier post - I can indeed communicate the the SLC 5/03 which is slot 00 (previously, I thought slot 00 was my PC). It is slot 01 that I cannot communicate with, which I now know is my SST-ASI-SLC (AS-i scanner card). Does that revelation set off a light bulb for anyone ? (...besides the fact that I'm a newbie :)

This leads me to a question: which protocol should I use with the AS-i scanner card...RS-232 or DH485 ?

Last edited:
ok - I got confused because I was looking at the configuration in RSLogix, where the SLC=00 and the AS-i card=01. In RSLinx (as I originally thought) my PC is 00 and the SLC-503 is 01 and RSLinx cannot communicate to the SLC (Mickey, thanx for pointing out that the AS-i scanner does not show up there - that helped me figure out this part).

I guess my next question is...when I'm trying to auto-configure the comms driver, should the switch on the SLC5/03 be set for Program or Run ?
Also, when I download the G-File into the SLC5/03, what position should that same switch be in ?

It does not matter which position the switch is in when you try to connect with RSLinx or use autoconfigure. It should work in any position.
You don't just download the G- File it is part of the module configuration which is part of your program file (.RSS file). You can configure this while online though. Or do it offline and download the whole program.
To download the switch needs to be in the "PROGRAM" position or the "REM" position ( controller will change to the program mode during a download).
See PDF below for more info on switch

Problem solved - Reset to defaults

Mickey, I was told by a co-worker to restore the memory of the SLC 5/03 to factory defaults:unsure:. Of course I had no idea how to do that , so I searched here and found out how to do that from an old Post/Reply of yours 👨🏻‍🏫. Everything is ok now - thanx for all your help !!!!! (y) 🍺