Beginners needs to know: PLC vs microcontroller

Salman Bilal

Being a beginner to the field, I need to know the comparison between PLC and microcontrollers in general preferably in power point presentation.

Show us what you've come up with so far and we'll be happy to ASSIST you with your homework, but you must make some effort before anyone here will help you.

Being a beginner to the field, I need to know the comparison between PLC and microcontrollers in general preferably in power point presentation.

You know, asking us to spend time answering questions that can answered in 30s using google is insulting. Go work it out yourself.

If you were in the emergency room and they needed to get you to the 10th floor for surgery or you were going to die. So they wheeled you into the elevator and the door closed. When they pushed the 10th floor button it sent a signal. Would you want this button controled by a PLC or microcontroller?

Wanna know what a PLC can do compared to a uController?
Here is a simple but effective analogy:
Imagine you are driving a car at 70MPH. You have a tire blow out. So, you pull over, get out get out the spare and replace blown tire. Fifteen minutes later,you get back on the road again.

Boring! (but normal)
Now you are driving a car with a PLC! The PLC controls everything.
The tire blows out. Now this time, you do not need to stop as the PLC replaced the wheel in Milliseconds for you..NO STOPPING!!

Thats the main beauty of PLC's: Online Programming..

You can add/modify/delete logic WITHOUT stopping production lines, process control,etc.

They have been with us since the early 60's. General Motors Corp. wanted a Control Panel with programmable logic, so once a production line was torn down, then the programmable logic could be used again...Thus is born the Modicon 084

(I worked for Modicon in UK for many years repairing 184,284,384,484,584 systems. Also much field work)

If you were in the emergency room and they needed to get you to the 10th floor for surgery or you were going to die. So they wheeled you into the elevator and the door closed. When they pushed the 10th floor button it sent a signal. Would you want this button controled by a PLC or microcontroller?

SCADA and an automated advance robot which will perform the surgery in the elevator.