PVP transfer errors

baref00t25

We're attempting to download an application to a Panelview Plus 600. We get the error of Transfer failed due to CIP general status 0x01 extended status 0x0204. We know this is a communications error and that my RSLinx Enterprise can't see the PVP on the network. We can ping the PVP with its IP address, andWe have verified that no other items are on the network with the same IP address. We've also shut down RSLinx so that it doesn't interfere with RSLinx Enterprise and still nothing. The goofy thing is that we downloaded to this device a couple of days ago and it worked then.

Depending on what ethernet driver you are using in RS Linx, you need to input the IP address of the PVP so RS Linx looks for it. do this by right clicking on the driver in an RS Who window. selecting properties then Add new, then put the ip address in the box.

I have been caught out by this before, hope it helps.

We aren't sure what we did, but we loaded the application through a CompactFlash Card and now everything is working. Possibly having the communications written over did it, but we are thinking more likely that it must be Gremlins.

Error 0x204 is a simple timeout error indicating that the terminal is not responding to communications, so you're absolutely right that RSLinx Enterprise needs to "see" the terminal before the download utility will work.

It sounds to me like either a failure of RSLinx Enterprise onboard the PV+ terminal (maybe the last configuration downloaded to the terminal deleted the Linx Enterprise driver) or a Duplicate IP Address problem on your network.

Do this: bring up a Command Line session in Windows and type:

arp -d *
ping 192.168.0.10 (use the IP address of the terminal)
arp -a

Use the PV+ configuration screens to find out the MAC ID of the terminal's Ethernet port, and compare that to the MAC ID associated with the IP address you PINGed.

pv+ same error

Hey,

I just had the same error message with the pv+600, and I finally realized that the ethernet cable connected into the pv+ was slightly loose; not enough to notice just by looking at it (for some reason it doesn't click in, which makes it hard to tell if it is connected or not). Now I can download to the pv+ again.

Funny you should write this today. We had another unit do the same thing today and it turned out the guy setting it up left the subnet mask empty. So we could ping it and we could download to it, but the PVP couldn't read from the processor.

One thing to keep in mind. If you haven't changed your com settings before you copy a file using a flash card then choose "No" when it asks you if you want to overwrite the existing comm settings. After doing several of these file copies and answering "Yes" each time I eventually lost communications between the plc and hmi. Had to reset to factory defaults and then do a new download to get things working again.

Not working for me. THe Ethernet cables are properly connected. Even after removing and re-inserting, my laptop confirms Ethernet connection. Yet I'm seeing red cross on PVP on RSLinx. It's always the communication that's making things impossible.

Yes. Even reset the terminal, re-enter the IP and subnet mask. Even connected direct via crosswire cable. Still no communication.

In addition, PVP is giving error: "Unable to open the runtime project. Check for sufficient space and necessary permissions at \Temp\."

Last edited:
The reason that the "reset to factory defaults" function is sometimes necessary is that it's RSLinx Enterprise running on the PV+ terminal that responds to browses from your Studio PC.

By default, the PV+ terminal has a DF1 driver configured for the COM1 RS-232 port and an EtherNet/IP driver configured for the Ethernet port. Out of the box, you can download to the terminal either over RS232 or Ethernet.

If you intentionally or indavertently remove or alter one of those drivers, you will lose RSLinx connectivity to the terminal. You will still be able to PING the terminal (that's a Windows CE function) but you can't browse it in RSLinx (responding to browses is an RSLinx Enterprise function).

Error code 0x204 is unambiguous; it means a timeout. 80% of the time the problem is the IP address, subnet mask, or gateway on the terminal or your PC. 10% of the time it's a firewall setting (my CheckPoint blocks the RSLinx browse) and the rest of the time it's a loose cable or a genuinely broken terminal.

But I did not alter anything! I was trying to download the file using Transfer Utility and it just wouldn't communicate. Cannot find the path, it says.

What could be wrong with the IP address? I check the PVP terminal, RSLinx Enterprise, RSLinx Classic. They all matched! Both RSLinx's detect the PVP. Why does this have to happen?!!

So what do I have to do? Should I delete the PVP icon from both RSLinx's and re-create the Ethernet driver for PVP?

I'm already one week behind schedule, haven't been able to do any real program test/troubleshoot because of one communication problem after another. I'm well on my way to losing my job over this.

novice said:
But I did not alter anything! I was trying to download the file using Transfer Utility and it just wouldn't communicate. Cannot find the path, it says.

What could be wrong with the IP address? I check the PVP terminal, RSLinx Enterprise, RSLinx Classic. They all matched! Both RSLinx's detect the PVP. Why does this have to happen?!!

So what do I have to do? Should I delete the PVP icon from both RSLinx's and re-create the Ethernet driver for PVP?

I'm already one week behind schedule, haven't been able to do any real program test/troubleshoot because of one communication problem after another. I'm well on my way to losing my job over this.

Ask you local AB distributor to send over a tech to help you if you haven't figured out yet. That's what we do if we get stuck for more than a day.