Micrologix Memory wipe

Tackdriver

Hello
The processors in question are all Allen Bradley Micrologix.
What I want to do is configure a timer/counter array to wait 30 days or so, and then completely wipe the ladder logic from memory.

Is there a bit within these processors that can be written to to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance

The logic program cannot clear itself on any controller that I know about, including the MicroLogix 1000.

I have not tried to self-lock the controller using the "deny future access" bit. This would effectively be the same as deleting the program, if you also put in logic that stopped the program from executing after that watchdog rung.

What it wouldn't do is make the controller re-usable without a reset command issued by the RSLogix 500 software.

What is the practical function you are trying to accomplish ?

I agree. Set your timer/counter array to jam a 1 into the deny future access bit.

Can't really think of a need to clear all of the logic out of the PLC, unless you want some overtime or to be called in...

Cheaters never prosper
plthumbsdown.gif

Tackdriver said:
Hello
The processors in question are all Allen Bradley Micrologix.
What I want to do is configure a timer/counter array to wait 30 days or so, and then completely wipe the ladder logic from memory.

Is there a bit within these processors that can be written to to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance

Let me guess, this is to ensure you are paid the final installment of a contract?

Ian

How about installing some sort of firebomb slightly underneath where the PLC is located?. On the 30th day activate an output which will start a fire and burn your PLC to pieces. No PLC and therefore no logic. Simple...

Actually, my thought were to send out a "Demo" to a customer who is semi-technical. They send me a retainer/deposit. They get the PLC, wire it per directions. If they like it they order the Full Version.

If they dont like it the program expires, I keep the retianer so Im not out the cost of the PLC.

Its just like the software industry. Just think of the PLC as the equivalent of a CD-ROM you get of some program.

If they dont like it the program expires, I keep the retianer so Im not out the cost of the PLC.

So they pay for the PLC anyways. What would stop them from just taking the time bomb out? The passwords that you can put on the program are easy to get around.

Why don't you just do the whole system? Design, program, install, and service?

Automation 1:

I really want to focus on the Design and Software end of automation. As for installation, I view it as a time-waster, you spend a lot of time doing mundane stuff like metalwork, pull wires, etc.

I also want to market in a little different manner.
I want to give the customer a chance to see what automation can do for them, and let THAT be the selling factor. I think a customer should be able to front 600 for a PLC to automate some machine or aleviate some problem. Then when they are happy they can see that it is worth the additional $$$ to keep it.

The KEY to this is I cant tolerate them mucking around in my program behind my back. It could be unsafe, and is for sure illegal. We need to wake up as programmers and realize that ladder logic or structured text is no different than music or a painting.

I suppose the time is now for the automation folks to release a "keyed" version of their PLCs.

Your PLC program works or it doesn't. Applications get speced out in the design phase.

I don't think the code should be yours. The program is part of the system that your customer is buying. The programming software is just a tool.

If your customers have PLC oriented people they should be able to access the program.

Tackdriver said:
Automation 1:

I really want to focus on the Design and Software end of automation. As for installation, I view it as a time-waster, you spend a lot of time doing mundane stuff like metalwork, pull wires, etc.

I also want to market in a little different manner.
I want to give the customer a chance to see what automation can do for them, and let THAT be the selling factor. I think a customer should be able to front 600 for a PLC to automate some machine or aleviate some problem. Then when they are happy they can see that it is worth the additional $$$ to keep it.

The KEY to this is I cant tolerate them mucking around in my program behind my back. It could be unsafe, and is for sure illegal. We need to wake up as programmers and realize that ladder logic or structured text is no different than music or a painting.

I suppose the time is now for the automation folks to release a "keyed" version of their PLCs.

Good luck w/ that.
As for LL being music or painting, you really value LL or ST much more then it should be........

You see it is attitudes like the two above that make this career sucky at times. Read some court rulings. Modernize your thinking.

YOU WILL MAKE MORE MONEY

A long time ago I learned that the only reason PCs exist is as a distribution medium for software. Software is where the money is.

The only reason you should care about selling some customer a drive or PLC is so you can bundle with it the high priced software.

Its like these yahoos that try to hack Windows.
Did Gates take that lying down? No. Just because you buy a machine does not give you unlimited rights to the software that makes it run. You cannot duplicate Windows, for example.

Integrators are not at the top of the programming food chain.
The reason is because we are percieved (and we market ourselves) as some sort of fancy electrician or mechanic.
We need to reinvent ourselves to reflect the fact that we are skilled professionals capable of generating intellectual property, and we should defend those intellectual property rights to the fullest.

To summarize, this means:
1) VALUEING OUR CODE
Without the code to make the machine work, the machine is worth far less. We need to fully realize this.

2) PROTECTING OUR CODE
Third party manipulation of LL or ST that you wrote is NOT customer serivce. IT IS THEFT. You will not generate a new commission based upon some yahoo making a mod to your programs.

3) CHARGING ACCORDING REAL WORTH. Some yahoo is building a machine that will generate 6,7,8 figures of revenue a year.
Your code will enable this. Dont be afraid to quote accordingly. Dont be afraid to walk away when the lowball you.

4) YOU ARE A PROGRAMMER. You are not an electrician, mechanic, carpenter, pipefitter or a whole host of other "one-offs". For example, Gates can program computers. But you dont see him running the 120 V outlet through the walls of his house. On PLCs, land and check IO if you must, but let all the other trades be the function of customer/your employee/your subs.

This may sound harsh, and maybe in some ways it is. But I also think its high time we quit subsizding others and started watching out for ourselves.

Last edited:
Automation1 said:
So they pay for the PLC anyways. What would stop them from just taking the time bomb out? The passwords that you can put on the program are easy to get around.

Why don't you just do the whole system? Design, program, install, and service?[/QUOTE]

OK I am not versed in all the other BS BUT how do you get around ML passwords?

Whythe "tude" about someone trying to protect their work?

There are times someone does not get to do it all, they have to offer things for parts.IF you do not understand that then you should not reply.

LET me clarify something, the code may work or may not but it may BE YOUR CODE, so why should others be able to build upon it?

Last edited:
It all depends.

I guess Tackdriver has the right to protect "his" code if he so desires. If I were one of his potential customers, I would exercise my right to not do business with him.

Whenever we farm out a programming job, we specify that we own the code, and require full access. If the person doing the programming doesn't want to do this, we look elsewhere.

So in the end, the market will determine who wins.