DCS Control

Building & DCS

Hi Ken,

I would like to add something to your explanation,
If we consider the DCS as building, the PLC's can be considered as building blocks.
And the network between the PLC's in the DCS architecture can be considered as the cement that joints/connects these blocks together.

regards

Oh, this could be the start of a really good thread!!!

The analogy so far is -

- DCS = building
- PLC = brick
- network = cement

So, this begs several questions. What are windows (Windows™?), doors, elevators, corridors etc in this scheme of thinking?
Currently I'm trying to work out what the chimney might be - you know, the bit where all the smoke and heat emerges...
Any ideas?

Regards

Ken

Ken M said:

The analogy so far is -

- DCS = building
- PLC = brick
- network = cement

So, this begs several questions. What are windows (Windows™?), doors, elevators, corridors etc in this scheme of thinking?
Currently I'm trying to work out what the chimney might be - you know, the bit where all the smoke and heat emerges...
Any ideas?

Regards

Ken
:D

Yep, this could get real interesting. I have a lot of work to get done today, so I'll not get started.

Ken M said:

The analogy so far is -

- DCS = building
- PLC = brick
- network = cement

Any ideas?

Regards

Ken

There probably wouldn't be an elevator Ken, they'd use Ladder!

The new ABB DCS-system is called 800xA. The system integrates all things from Field devices, controllers, OS-Servers and OS-clients. It's very objektorientet in its strukture, all objects have a wide range of "aspekts", one aspect could be the controlling program, another can be the fasceplate in the OS, a third can be the parameters for the field device, another can be the CAD-drawingfile of the cicuit and so on.

ABB IndustrialIT (which includes 800xA) is descended in part from ABB Sattline, which was in turn I think descended from Electronlund PLC's - I first worked with them in 1977.
Sattline is the most object oriented control system I have ever worked with. It is quite remarkable, for example the graphics are an integral part of the system and it is all programmed in a graphical workspace.
Sattline programmer can be recognised by the rapid clicking as they zoom in and out.
Sattline only really took off in Scandinavia.

Ken M said:

The analogy so far is -

- DCS = building
- PLC = brick
- network = cement

Any ideas?

Regards

Ken
Hi ken,

Sorry for late reply, I was on week end.
As you said, it is really good thread!
Building and block analogy just explains the story of integration of DCS. There are several side stories such as functionalities, safety,.... may be you, me or somebody else can find some story for those.
The exeistence of windows, doors, elevators or corridors are some how depends on the functionallity/porpose of the building.
If you make a garage it is not very complicated and its functionality is simple as well, so generally you don't need window and elevator or even corridors.
As you understand, we have several functionalities and also several material to realize this functionalities.e.g. consider, in your garden you may make a flower house by wood and glass,you generally don't use an elevator for that a ladder is enough isn't it?
So if you design/configure a DCS for power plant its function is completely different than the DCS for a paper mill.

Ken Moore said:
DCS systems are like PLC's, they are all similar, but different. Exactly which DCS brand are you interested in?
needed a PID Controller, Steeper motor control, level & temperature controller programming also code too
Hi,
I am tring to learn PID controller, Steeper motor Control, level and temperature controllers for LAdder/STL logic simatic S7. If any one can provide example for PID controller, Steeper motor Control, level and temperature controllers using PID . please give the code too. also some cascade controller
I need to program, if U Have or Knowledge an interface of this type simatic s7 programming pls send me stl or ladder loginc plz. Thanks
my e-mail is [email protected]