dde hot link, excell to slc500/4.

vernon1

Hi Guys , anybody out there got a step by step guide on how to set up a dde hot link between a pc and an slc 504,I have a comms path already using linx classic.

Just need to display some data table values in excell.

Thanks in advance.

If it is RSLinx lite, you can't. Unless there is a cheat way that I am unaware of. You need to buy RSLinx VS. the lite version that comes with RSLogix 500.

Marc

Step by step

1. Set up DDE/OPC topic
a.Open rslinx pro (not light)
b.Select menu item DDE/OPC > Topic Configuration
c.Select path, processor, topic name,...
2. Copy the link
a.Open rslinx pro (not light)
b.Select menu item Edit > Copy DDE/OPC link
c.Select server, topic, data address,block size, ....
d.click OK
3. Paste the link
a.Open Excel (or other target app)
b.Select the target cell
c.Select menu item Edit > Paste Special
d.Select Paste Link > OK

You can pick up the syntax from the link for doing others more quickly.

Vernon,

Cheapest option (via AB anyway) is the RSLinx 'Single Node' license (about £285 list las time i checked). You can then create direct links between RSLinx and (for example) Excel (called 'Topics').

You then basically use 'paste special' in the pc application to create a path to the PLC data file...

Once you've done it once it's a breeze (in my opinion!) - then you can create all sorts of fancy stuff in excel to view the dynamic data (y)

Hope this helps!

Rob

vernon1 said:
cheers guys for all of your feedback.

I think I have an RS linx training giude that gives step by step instructions screen shots etc. on how to do this, and a lot extra. I will post it tomorrow when I am at work.

Myles

This thing is 1.3M and to large to post, Xp will only let me send it to a compressed folder new size 1.1M. Anybody got any ideas? someone with winzip and an email address that can post it?
icon8.gif

myles