Router Requirements for VPN

Klausbird

I'm planning to setup a VPN connection to a customers PLC. I am trying to determine which router to buy (and budget for). My question is about the router requirements. Does EVERY router have VPN capability? If not, are there different types of VPN capability? How can I make sure I don't buy the wrong router?
Thanks.

You need to make sure that the router has a VPN server integrated in it. Another option maybe to configure a PC as the VPN server e.g Win XP Pro, in this case you will only need to buy a router that enables you to forward all VPN traffic to that PC on the network, nearly all do this i think.
Hope this helps

Thank you, Marshy, for your reply.
It sounds like "VPN Server" is the key component for the router. And ALL routers do not have this.
Configuring a PC as the VPN server (at the customer's location, right?) is a good idea, but I think it isn't practical in this application. The customer would have to have all the PLC software installed on the PC for that to work, right? They do not have the software. And I would prefer not to add a PC to the production line just for this purpose (more costly).
Thank you very much for your help.

Klausbird said:
Configuring a PC as the VPN server (at the customer's location, right?) is a good idea, but I think it isn't practical in this application. The customer would have to have all the PLC software installed on the PC for that to work, right?

Not really. The role of the VPN Server is to authenticate you and issue you with an IP address that will be routable with the PLC. So it doesn't need the PLC programming software on it.
I personally would go down the route of a router with an integrated VPN server.

Marshy,
I did not know that. Is that setup through the WinXP Pro New Connection Wizard?

I agree with you, I think I will try the router option. Thank you.

Klausbird - the type of access I mean could be as simple as follows:

Normally the router is disconnected (power off or network connection unplugged).

Customer requests you to access the PLC and plugs in connection.
You do your stuff.
Customer unplugs connection.