Drive

Well. I've been reading a lot of manuals on Simodrive and Siemens Masterdrives recently. And for them, a single axis setup is just a drive that controls just that, a single axis of movement (Be it linear, rotational, or what ever your mind could imagine). A multi-axis setup is a system with more than one axis, either the same item moves multiple directions using different servos, or different items move using seperate servos. They also had single drives that could control more than one axis.

I'm no expert, just beginning in this field. But I think it's safe to say that it would be similar across all boards. An axis could be linear movement in X, Y, or Z, or a rotational movement (usually A or B). Multi-axis just means more than one plane of movement.

You do remember studying coordinates? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesian_coordinate_system

Multi axix means more then one motor may be used for more than one direction of travel i.e. x, y, z, or whatever.

To expand on this for a while now I have building a multi function table that can cut things like wood, glass, plexiglass (lexan) etc., or drill and tap inserts for control panels.

For this table there will be at least 3 axis, one to travel the length of the object, another to travel the width, and another to lower/raise the device doing the cutting, drilling, or tapping.

Last edited:
Related Question:
I've started to deal with a few 5-axis CNC machines (I hate them so...mostly because they are foriegn and were not maintained well)

I've also heard talk of CNCs with a 6th axis... and for the life of me I cannot think of a 6th axis of movement that would be of any use for a CNC. X, Y, Z, A, B... the spindle head can move to any direction ever needed...

Do not forget that for any axis it may also need another direction of travel i.e. say axis b moves up and down, axix c could be used to create an angular point from that position.

X, Y and Z. Pitch, roll and yaw. Six axes give you the complete freedom of motion.

It is pretty common in robotics. It is possible to be useful for a CNC system.