Measuing the Concentration of fiber glass

atifplus

Hi is there any sensor to measure the concentrartion of fiber glass in the water tank

maybe i could use density to dectect the concentration.. any tips or hints??

thanks in advance P)

atifplus said:
Hi is there any sensor to measure the concentrartion of fiber glass in the water tank

maybe i could use density to dectect the concentration.. any tips or hints??

thanks in advance P)
Most intriguing.
Why fiberglass in a water tank? Are you trying to maintain a certain concentration ie fiberglass is DESIRED
OR are you trying to keep the fiberglass concentration low ie it is a contaminant?

Are you doing this on a single sample basis or continuous monitoring?

In order to help you need to provide enough info.

IF the concentration is high enough you could use an optical comparison. One of the older methods in chemistry and still in use. Two light sources one shines thru a "standard" vial of clean water and a "sample" vial of fiberglass / water. The difference in light transmitted thru the two vials was measured and converted to a voltage.

Can't see using conductivity, fiberglass is generally an insulator.

Dan Bentler

This can be a bit pricey, but a coriolis flowmeter would measure density or specific gravity. We use them on fume scrubbers to measure the particulate concentration and loop control bleed water. In a scrubber there are spray lines that need to have the flow rates correct for proper operation. By using a coriolis flowmeter we get rate and SG, and then control each in separate loops. If you have a tank for storage you could have a small pump loop out and back to the tank for measurement. We sometimes do this for pH monitoring.

Are there any other components of the process liquid? If so that would offset the actual concentration of glass fiber. But if those extra components are constant or low the readings would be relative.

I found a micro motion meter at the outlet of the tank. Getting the info if i could use that hopefully that will solve the problem .