A-B 1756-L1 setup

HNguyen

Hi,
I have a 1756-A10 chassis with:
1) 1756-L1
2) 1756DHRIO/B with 1784PCM6 cable
and other I/O modules...
When I connect the 1784PCMK/B to the DHRIO card, I can see the CPU from the RSWho tree, but could not set the path. The error was "Failed to go online with the controller. RSLinx doesn't recognize the comminication path."

I see on the controller, the RUN LED is solid green at any sw position. The ok and CHA LED of the DH+/RIO modules are flashing . On the other I/O modules, their ok LED is flashing.

Did I miss anything during the set up??

Thanks

By reading your previos posts I am assuming this is new.
In the RSWho tree do you have a yellow ? or triangle, if so you may need the latest EDS file for the module
Also in the DH+RIO module is a routing table, has it been set up in RSLinx

Gil47 said:
By reading your previos posts I am assuming this is new.
In the RSWho tree do you have a yellow ? or triangle, if so you may need the latest EDS file for the module
Also in the DH+RIO module is a routing table, has it been set up in RSLinx
Thanks Gil47,
I think I have the RSLinx talking to the DH+RIO, but not communicate with the 1756-L1/M1 I have. When I try to upload, the error I have is different version of the RSLogix 5000 and the CPU firmware. My software is pretty ol, revision 7.2, and the CPU was upgrade to 10:23. May be that's the reason the RSLogix could not recognize the CPU.
Any idea out there ??

My software is pretty ol, revision 7.2, and the CPU was upgrade to 10:23. May be that's the reason the RSLogix could not recognize the CPU.

that's probably a good guess ...

with RSLogix5000 the MAJOR revision number of the software MUST match the major revision of the hardware (CPU) ... so ... if you have a Revision 10 processor, then you MUST use Revision 10.xx software (RSLogix5000) to program it ... note that ANY revision 10 will work ... specifically, the "nickels and dimes" don't USUALLY have to match ... just the "dollars" ... so 10.50 (for example) would PROBABLY be ok ...

another thought ... it might be possible to "flash" the processor from its current revision 10 firmware to the lower revision 7 software that you have available ... ask if you're interested in that approach ... note that when you "flash" a processor you will also lose its memory and its currently installed program ...

the best course of action is probably to upgrade your software to revision 10 - if you have that capability ...

note: do NOT get carried away and upgrade to the "latest and greatest" which is probably revision 16 ... your L1 processor can probably NOT be flashed to anything higher than about version 13 ...

what are you working on? ... is this a "home learning" project - or an industrial application? ... sometimes it makes a difference in how you need to proceed ...

one other thought ... if you decide to "flash" the processor's firmware, it is HIGHLY recommended that you do it by communicating through the processor's serial port and NOT through something like a DHRIO or Ethernet hookup ... basic idea: at some point during the "flash" operation, the processor will probably lose the ability to communicate through its backplane connections ... in that case, you'll probably end up with a "brick" of a processor ... usually it will be rendered completely dead until you return it to Allen-Bradley for repairs ...

Last edited:
I would agree with all statements above, except this one:
one other thought ... if you decide to "flash" the processor's firmware, it is HIGHLY recommended that you do it by communicating through the processor's serial port and NOT through something like a DHRIO or Ethernet hookup ... basic idea: at some point during the "flash" operation, the processor will probably lose the ability to communicate through its backplane connections ... in that case, you'll probably end up with a "brick" of a processor ... usually it will be rendered completely dead until you return it to Allen-Bradley for repairs ...
Try to avoid serial port flashing, always use Ethernet,ContolNet or DH+. Controller will never loose backplane communicatios and upgrade will go 10-20 times faster.
If you decided to flash over serial, then make sure you disable stand-by power savings and screensaver. Serial upgrade takes 15-40 minutes and if interrupted L1 will be trashed. Or just sit next to it and keep mouse moving.

Try to avoid serial port flashing, always use Ethernet,ContolNet or DH+. Controller will never loose backplane communicatios and upgrade will go 10-20 times faster.

Greetings Contr_Conn ...

thanks for straightening that out ... apparently I was wrong ... it's been three or four years since I worked for an Allen-Bradley distributor - so maybe (probably?) my memory has failed me ... but it seems like flashing through the serial port was something that quite often caused problems - and I was told to caution customers against doing it that way ... I distinctly remember at least two or three "bricks" being brought in by disgruntled customers - and the "serial port flash" was always (rightly or wrongly) the culprit that got the blame ...

can you help me out with a link to some official documentation that nails this down? ... I'd like to be able to share it with others when the subject comes up ...

thanks again ...

I don't know any "official documents" that state how to flash. All methods work, including serial port. If you see controller in linx then you can flash it. Just using serial port for flash is very slow and less reliable than Ethernet.

I am flashing my controllers and other modules as well as helping customers with flash of their modules few times a day and first thing I always do is to set a high speed driver.
Unless customer does not have anything except a null modem cable.

I found something along these lines in the Knowledgebase under ID number 27253 ... it seems to confirm everything that you said ...

again, I thank you ...