S5-155u, Cpu 948

Maj. Toxido

Good day to all of you!:)

I have a hard time problem with S5 plcs, last night there is a power failure in the plant then plcs goes to stop when I check it I found out that the program is lost (erase):cry: . So I download the program. Upon starting of machineries the PLCs shutdown again,when I check it online there is a problem in communication of the interface card(6ES5310-3AB11).Troubleshooting said problem I found out that the communication cable is eaten by ratso_O . I fix the said cable, then upon I test the hardware status block of all the output and input the program is crashing. I try to run the inputs status block the program is normal but when I put now the output status block the program crash again. I try it again vice-versa the same problem occured! What would be the problem of it?o_O I go nut with this type of problemo_O

If it only crashes when on-line check the watchdog isn't the problem.
Once had this & the real problem was that a Dw would have a start value of 100 in it, however on re-loading program the DB was set to all zeros.
This then caused a problem when indexing through an indirect access i.e. L dwxx (one with 100 in it) t fw200, do fw200 L dw0
I.e. load Dw100 then in a loop it would increment fw200 until it reached 200, this then loops round 100 times, however as it was starting at 0 it looped 200 times + this was happening on 20 + function calls, this was not enough to exceed the watchdog time for plc scan but when going on-line it increased it enough to go out on watchdog.
Check the Stacks for the error.

I check the FB1 this is where the program crash!

:A F9.1
:L KF+0
:T PW28
:T PW30
:T PW32
:T PW34
:T PW36
:T PW38
:T PW76
:T PW78
:T PW84
:T PW86
:T PW68
:T PW70
:
:A F9.1
:L PW28
:T FW200
:L PW30
:T FW202
:L PW32
:T FW204
:L PW34
:T FW206
:L PW36
:T FW208
:L PW38
:T FW210
:L PW76
:T FW212
:L PW78
:T FW214
:L PW84
:T FW216
:L PW86
:T FW220
:L PW88
:T FW222
:L PW90
:T FW224
:L PW68
:T FW218
:L PW70
:T FW226
END1:
:BE

Thank`s in advance!🍺

Noticed here that you are transferring a lot of peripheral words to memory, it could be that one of your analog cards has suffered in the power loss.
It may be that none of the error blocks have been programmed, these allow you to carry on processing or stop the program when programmed although I suggest you make sure that if you program them to not stop the processor you put them back again after curing the fault.
If my memory serves me right OB23,24 & 25 check periphery & if you program them with STP the processor will stop & checking the istack will tell you if the OB has been processed.
Normally if these blocks are not added then the processor will stop or if you program them you could just put BE in them & the processor will carry on running.
You could set some code in here to do what ever you wanted then program the STOP command.
Again it should tell you in the istack & if the error is "ADF" is set this will indicate a faulty I/O card.
The ReL-SAC i beleive tells you the last step it performed before stopping so the next instruction is the one causing the fault, there is a way of showing the relative step no's in S5 with a function key but cannot remember which one.

Siemens program erase- Power failure

parky said:
Noticed here that you are transferring a lot of peripheral words to memory, it could be that one of your analog cards has suffered in the power loss.
It may be that none of the error blocks have been programmed, these allow you to carry on processing or stop the program when programmed although I suggest you make sure that if you program them to not stop the processor you put them back again after curing the fault.
If my memory serves me right OB23,24 & 25 check periphery & if you program them with STP the processor will stop & checking the istack will tell you if the OB has been processed.
Normally if these blocks are not added then the processor will stop or if you program them you could just put BE in them & the processor will carry on running.
You could set some code in here to do what ever you wanted then program the STOP command.
Again it should tell you in the istack & if the error is "ADF" is set this will indicate a faulty I/O card.
The ReL-SAC i beleive tells you the last step it performed before stopping so the next instruction is the one causing the fault, there is a way of showing the relative step no's in S5 with a function key but cannot remember which one.

Thanks for the reply!:D

Check the OB23

Segment 2
:C DB235
:L KF+23
:T DW18 -LAST OB CALL
:
:JU FB6 -DELAY OB23 SEQUENCE
NAME:OB23/24
:
:STP -STOP PLC
Segment 3

Check the OB24

Segment 2
:C DB235
:L KF+24
:T DW18 -LAST OB CALL
:JU FB6 -DELAY OB 24 SEQUENCE
NAME:OB23/24
:STP -STOP PLC
Segment 3

I did not use OB25.

When I overall reset the PLC then dowload the program again no problem, but when I turn off the supply of the PLC (to test for power failure)program is lost again!🔨

Not the "ADF" is the problem, when the program crash the "BASP" is the one that lit. When I reset the PLC from stop to run "BASP" error is erase and the PLC will go to RUN position.

I double check all the cards in the PLC but none of then is defective.

I will try to compare the program to my back-up copy to see some difference in program.:nodi:

Last edited:
The timers in OB23 and OB24 are there to prevent the OB errors being reported during power down (the I/O stops responding before the CPU stops).
When the program "crashes" you must examine the stacks to determine what caused the crash.

In reading the whole string here, it seems there are 2 problems. The first is you lost the program when you lost power. There are 2 back up batteries to prevent this. The first is in the right hand side of the power supply. The second is mounted to the fan 3 base on the bottom of the power supply. Sounds like you need to replace both.

Second is the loss of the program. When you reloaded it, did you reload DB0 and DX1? If so, delete DB0 and DX1 from the PLC and restart the PLC. These set the remote IO configuration. You have to get rid of them in the PLC and do a cold restart of the PLC. This will rewrite them and should get you running.

daveswerld said:
In reading the whole string here, it seems there are 2 problems. The first is you lost the program when you lost power. There are 2 back up batteries to prevent this. The first is in the right hand side of the power supply. The second is mounted to the fan 3 base on the bottom of the power supply. Sounds like you need to replace both.

Second is the loss of the program. When you reloaded it, did you reload DB0 and DX1? If so, delete DB0 and DX1 from the PLC and restart the PLC. These set the remote IO configuration. You have to get rid of them in the PLC and do a cold restart of the PLC. This will rewrite them and should get you running.

I tried to replace the 2 back-up batteries as you mentioned but the problem still occured.👨🏻‍🏫

I just compared the program to the back-up copy same program as it is.

I try to re-write all the programs in OB, then download it to the PLC`s. I test it no program crash. Test it again twice to turn-off the power supply to see if the program will erase, atlast the program now is not erase.🤞🏻 This is so far my funny experience in this type of PLC`s.:unsure:

Thanks to all you! (y)