AB PLC-5 comm error

kevin91172

I'm getting an err ---COM ERR 114 PORT 1 PLC id 9 File 3 PLC err 0 #0----on my PanelMate compact and it is not the HMI I already swap them around. I looked at the processor through RSLogix5 and it looks like it is running fine just seems to be a comm error like it says. I redownloaded the program and still getting the same error. I had this problem before and just change the processor and problem gone but I would like to know how to fix my Processors of this problem. And where is File 3?

At first glance it looks like either the PanelMate cannot communicate at all with the PLC-5, or it can't communicate with just one data file in the PLC-5.

Usually data-file limits are because the HMI device references a data table element that is outside the actual size of the data table (like referencing element 100 on a 99-element file). Since this is an occasional problem, that's probably not it, but it would correspond with the "File 3" message. "File 3" is data file 3, which is a Binary type data file.

Does this PanelMate application read from more than one controller on this network ? Does it read from more than one data file in the PLC-5 controller at Node 9 ?

Okay, so the PanelMate isn't connected to the PLC-5 using a "network". Maybe it's connected using the RS-232 Channel 0 serial port ? It would be helpful and reassuring if you could describe the communication link between the PanelMate terminal and the PLC-5 controller.

Post more information about the circumstances of the error.

Does it appear on every screen of the PanelMate application ?

Did it appear after a power cycle, or after a program re-load (extra points for mentioning if the PLC-5 has a memory module installed) ?

Does the error message ever go away ? Can you reset it and have it reappear ?

Unplug the PanelMate from the PLC-5 controller. Does the error message change ?

AB plc5/11 error

Nothing reads from the plc on any screen and I can not clear on power cycle, reload program, it just happened on under normal running condition. The PanelMate is just stone.Th error comes back the same when I unplug the plc.The PanelMate stays initializing and won't go into run mode.I'm using a RS232 on channel 0.

This is a forum, not a docket.

Based on the information you have posted, it sounds to me that the Channel 0 port on the PLC-5/11 controller has been damaged.

If you have also eliminated the RS-232 serial cable as a point of failure by swapping between systems, then that makes sense that a damaged RS-232 port is the culprit.

I would try to connect a PC to that serial port with a 1784-CP10 cable or other null-modem serial cable, using the settings that you see online when you monitor the controller.

Does your PanelMate documentation say anything specific about that error code ?