SLC 5/03 CPU (What ports are there?)

Johnny T

Hi all,

This is a really quick and easy question for anyone with Allen Bradley knowledge.. specifically on an SLC 5/03 CPU. There's two ports on the front. The top port looks similar to an ethernet connector and the bottom port is some kind of D-Type 15? pin connector.

What comms protocol does the top port use? Is it DH485? Or is it set up in the software?

I have the software in front of me and under Channel Configurations I've got..
Channel 1 - DH485
Channel 0 - DF1 Full Duplex

(I'm not sure if this reflects the protocol of the comms ports on the front of the PLC or not.. and, if so, which is Channel 0 and which is Channel 1)

Many thanks for any help you can give me..

Cheers

JT ;-)

Channel 1 is the ethernet lookin port that is for some personal computer interface. I dont have much knowlage on that.

The D connector is channel 0 its the DF1 port, use this to connect your laptop, using cable 1747-Cp3. Or there are some diagrams on this site with the pinouts.

Thanks lads..

(Synchronised postings there!)

I suspected the top one was probably DH485 but needed to be sure.

Appreciate the (very) quick response.

Cheers

JT ;-)

Myles said:
Channel 1 is the ethernet lookin port that is for some personal computer interface. I dont have much knowlage on that.

The SLC5/03 does NOT have ethernet! That's the 485 port. Typically accessed via a PIC module.

STOP!
Do Not Plug An Ethernet Conntection Into The RJ45 Port On The SLC5/03!

Unless you want to buy a new ethernet card for you PC, or worse, a new laptop if it has a built in port. The RJ45 Port on the SLC5/03 has voltages present on it that will damage your ethernet card.

Can attest to that!

Had a vendor supplied skid with a Panelview. The vendor changed out the Panelviw & rewired it with L1 & L2 swapped. Stopped by to chat with him and he asked me to plug in the RJ45 connector into the processor. Not only did he have to replace the Panelview, but the backplane, processor & buy pizza for the shop.

evilpig said:
Can attest to that!

Had a vendor supplied skid with a Panelview. The vendor changed out the Panelviw & rewired it with L1 & L2 swapped. Stopped by to chat with him and he asked me to plug in the RJ45 connector into the processor. Not only did he have to replace the Panelview, but the backplane, processor & buy pizza for the shop.

Not buying this one. Why or HOW would the vendor change the power supply?

OZEE said:
The SLC5/03 does NOT have ethernet! That's the 485 port. Typically accessed via a PIC module.

yeah sorry i knew that, just maybe didnt make it clear, it LOOKS like an ethernet port. I know i guy who pluged his lap top direct into that with an RJ45 cable, Didnt do much good.
icon13.gif

The DB9 plug is software configurable to be many things in an SLC 503. It can be DF1 in its many guises, you can also configure it as a DH485 port or as an ASCII port.
Regards Alan Case

rsdoran said:
Not buying this one. Why or HOW would the vendor change the power supply?

I didn't say he changed the power supply. He wired the panelview with the hot & neutral swapped. The RJ45 connector on the processor is tied to common.