New to PLC

jig217

Hello All,

My name is Jiger and I'm new to this PLC. Currently I'm pursing my Electrical engineer degree and I'm working on my senior project on making a Robotic Hand Which can be control via computer or joystick. I was thinking making PLC for this and basically connect hardware to this. I have not program plc before this would be my first time. I know what plc is and I know little bit how to program it since I learn little bit from my current job.

My question is what do I really need for my project? What software should I use, what type of PLC should i buy?, what hardware do I need for PLC? Basically Joystick will act as an input, 5-6 motor as outputs, and few sensors to check position of the motor. Our budget is under $400. If anyone can help I will really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Jiger

$400.00 won't get you very far in the INDUSTRIAL PLC market......Direct Logic makes a cheap one they advertize for $99.00..........but then you still need the programming application, a manual, and a cable; all at additional expense.

Maybe someone would have an old PLC they pulled out of something sitting on a shelf they would donate if you paid the freight or something......dunno....

I saw a "micro controller" KIT at Radio Shack. Seems like it was pretty cheap and since this is for a school project anyway, building the PLC would add to the learning experience.

From what I infer, most of the folks on THIS forum are professionals, trying to make a living, myself included. There doesn't seem to be much "hobby" activity on these pages.

I wish you luck,

Stationmaster

Hello Jiger,

Check ebay, but look for some form of communication, a bus, to control the motors, that should cut down on the cost of the I/O's the way you describe it you will need a lot of I/O

If you go into more detail we can help more... do you have motors? are they servo's? DC? how do you want to move them? so... do you have any controllers? make a list of what you have, then we can help generate a list of what you need.

Good luck

jig217 said:
Hello All,

My name is Jiger and I'm new to this PLC. Currently I'm pursing my Electrical engineer degree and I'm working on my senior project on making a Robotic Hand Which can be control via computer or joystick. I was thinking making PLC for this and basically connect hardware to this. I have not program plc before this would be my first time. I know what plc is and I know little bit how to program it since I learn little bit from my current job.

My question is what do I really need for my project? What software should I use, what type of PLC should i buy?, what hardware do I need for PLC? Basically Joystick will act as an input, 5-6 motor as outputs, and few sensors to check position of the motor. Our budget is under $400. If anyone can help I will really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Jiger

Humm that sounds exactly like the robotics course I will be taking (EE487).

Anyways PLC is not the way to go they are industrial devices and too expensive. I would use the microcontroller.
What I did in my 3rd year is used a HC11 microcontroller for a robot. Build the circuit on the bread board first tested everything and then order the PCB. Cost $150 (excluding the cost of sensors and motros)

jig217 said:
Hello All,

For $400 you are not going to have a very advanced hand. You are going to have to keep this thing simple you cannot do all ranges of motion of a human hand and stay in budget.

You are way ahead of yourself here. Describe the project in 50 words or so.
Tell us what this hand is supposed to do.
What is it supposed to grab what ranges of motion do you desire ie lift rotate swing etc etc.
THEN when you have defined the tasks the hand is to do
what are you going to use for power and actuators to do it? Hydraulic pneumatic etc etc.
How are you going to sense the position of the hand and the fingers? How many of the sensors are there?

Dan Bentler