What Works on Vista?

BillRobinson

Hey all,

I'm in the SCADA buisness and lately I've been having headaches with Windows Vista. By that I can't go to Dell, HP or any other major PC supplier/retailer and purchase a computer that comes equiped with XP. I can pull Vista, purchase XP from a serperate retailer and re-install. My other option is to build a computer piece-by-piece at a higher price. The reason I have to do this is because Rockwell doesn't work on Vista!!!(ahh I feel better now) I'm thinking of changing software packages, does anybody know what works on Vista?

ABB?
Control Microsystems?
Emerson?
Honeywell?
Invensys?
Scneider Electric?
Siemens?
Omron?

Why don't they make these things work on Linux?

BillRobinson said:
Hey all,

I'm in the SCADA buisness and lately I've been having headaches with Windows Vista. By that I can't go to Dell....

Dell still comes with XP Pro as a desired operating system

dell_xp.jpg

Specify that all PC's for HMI's be provided without an OS, then just purchase and install the one of your choice. This provides for uniformity (all MS-Provided OS's at the retail level are identical, not 'Tweaked' for an OEM machine) and eliminates the generally huge amount of trialware bloat.

Plus, if you buy non 'OEM' versions, the license is transferrable to another computer should the one it's installed on die.

I just got VM running Windows98 and DOS6.2 on a XP, and I love it... if you have to get Vista then use VM or VPC, I tried both but like VM better

Its a memory hog but its really cool and yes, you can still get the blue screen of death...

Dell still sells PC's with XP Pro on them like the previous posts suggest. Plus, I wouldn't touch Vista with a 10 foot pole until SP1. Maybe for playing with at home, but certainly not in the industrial space.

Christoff84 said:
I believe that if you have a certain version of Vista or higher you are entitled to downgrade to XP at no additional cost.

Here is a link to the PDF from Microsofts website.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f/4/5f4c83d3-833e-4f11-8cbd-699b0c164182/royaltyoemreferencesheet.pdf

That's very useful information. I am getting ready to buy another Dell XPS laptop, but XP is no longer an option. But it looks like I'll be able to buy it with Vista, downgrade it to XP, and then upgrade to Vista again when it becomes stable, all at no extra cost.

There has to be a trick somewhere.

S7Guy said:
That's very useful information. I am getting ready to buy another Dell XPS laptop, but XP is no longer an option. But it looks like I'll be able to buy it with Vista, downgrade it to XP, and then upgrade to Vista again when it becomes stable, all at no extra cost.

There has to be a trick somewhere.

The only trick I've seen is that you need to have VIsta Business or VIsta Ultimate. So you have to buy the most expensive flavors of it in order to qualify.

That's no problem. I always buy XP Pro, which is already the most expensive version anyway. I assume Vista Ultimate must be similar.

From Russian forum

From Russian forum :
http://www.automation-drives.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24122#24122
Vladimir Urchenko, Siemens, Moscow wrote:
Recently like WinCC V.6.2 has appeared, and it V.7.0 submit http://**********/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
And if it is serious - in plans 7-th version WinCC in the first quarter of next year (2008).

From new opportunities I can tell only about support Vista (by then and other software "will be tightened" to new OS).

This information can be trusted, as half a year back it has named exact terms of output Flex 2007...

Last edited: