How to write symbols correctly, A general discussion? Siemens

drspanda

Dear All,

I want to discuss the guidelines to be followed while giving names to symbols...I like to start with example:

Suppose there is a

1.start push button wired at I10.5 Normally Open Contact.
2.stop push button wired at I10.6 Normally Close Contact.

What is the best procedure to symbolise if I want to trouble shoot by applying common sense (Just going the literature meaning) while viewing online?

I am often confusing what type of contact is used (NC or NO) at field wiring....

Also Is there any facility in siemens so that I can provide different symbols for the same address at different locations...For easy trouble shooting...I think this facility is there with Allen Bradley..If I am correct?

In the software they would both be N/O.

In the field, start would be N/O, the input comes on when pressed and the stop would be N/C, the input is on and only goes off when the button is pressed.

As far as symbol I would normally have a plant code with a descriptor that tells you what it is, for example

I 10.5 = absolute address.

symbol = 'MC03PB01' where MC is a standard for machine and PB for push button.

description = 'Machine Start Pushbutton'

You cannot make the same address have a different symbol in any other part of the code.

You also cannot in Allan Bradley (Control Logix), this is symbol based and again the symbol is the same throughout the program.

With Siemens, you can make it look different by passing to another block as an input and giving it a different name in the block.