S7 software

paul56

Hi,
We have machines that work on S7 200, 300 and 400 based PLCs. When checking with suppliers for software and cables for these, some have quoted different software for each PLC and some have quoted for a single S7 basic software.
1.Does this mean that all these PLCs can be programmed by the common software? Can S7 200 version be used even for the others?
2. The S7-200 uses PPI and the S7-300 uses MPI interfaces. However, can the PPI cable be used with (performance reduction does not matter) with S7-300 or 400?

You might want to check, but I think that Step 7 can also be used on the 200's. MicroWin can only be used on the 200s, but Step 7 is "universal"

I don't think the MPI and PPI are compatible either. You will need both interfaces.

Apologies if I'm wrong -- I'm an AB guy. It's been years since I had any Siemens experience...

OZEE said:
Apologies if I'm wrong -- I'm an AB guy.
Apologies accepted. I have yet to see the first version of the Step 7 software which can program both S7-200 and S7-300/400. It would be as if there was a software package that could program both Siemans and AB PLCs.

The newer MPI cables (and I strongly suggest to use the USB versions) however are fully capable of communicating with both S7-200 and S7-300/400. MPI and PPI are both based on RS485 and the processor within the cable (in fact it's a converter) is powerfull enough to implement both protocols.

Kind regards,

Having same range of PLC's we use:

-Siemens Field PG (yes nice and expensive, BUT it has onboard serial and MPI)
-Step 7 V.5.4 for S7-300/400
-S7-Micro/Win32 for S7-200
-Standard MPI cable used for both and ethernet used for S7-300/400

Jeebs

yes

dear when you get s7 v3.0 0r higher software package cd it has both software microwin and simatic manager and if u want to use simatic manager for s7 200 you have to install both softwares and configure 200 project in simatic manager . and ur problme for useing same interface device for ppi and mpi u should use usb master adoptor that is selectable via its pg/pc interface to both mpi ppi and also profibus or u use cp5512 that is pci slot adoptor for interfacing ppi and mpi and i think low in cast also

farrei said:
dear when you get s7 v3.0 0r higher software package cd it has both software microwin and simatic manager and if u want to use simatic manager for s7 200 you have to install both softwares and configure 200 project in simatic manager . and ur problme for useing same interface device for ppi and mpi u should use usb master adoptor that is selectable via its pg/pc interface to both mpi ppi and also profibus or u use cp5512 that is pci slot adoptor for interfacing ppi and mpi and i think low in cast also

The last I used was 5.4, this did not have both and I have never heard of both being included.

This is the PDF info on all S7 products.

http://www.automation.siemens.com/salesmaterial-as/catalog/en/st7001_e.pdf

and this is the siemens help address

https://mall.automation.siemens.com...02-1303-1959-1960-1961-1963-1962-&jumpto=1961

moazzim said:
May be you never see that but i have s7-5.3 microwin And other software i can help u if u need
Where could you have gotten that? The most recent version of Step 7 MicroWin is V4.0 SP3. The most recent version of Step 7 (for S7-300/400) is V5.4, so I think you are talking about Step 7 and not Step 7 MicroWin. There's a big difference between the two, please don't confuse people.

I'm using the Step7 Professional package (Step 7 V 5.3) and, as PeterW mentioned before, I too have never seen Step7 MicroWin being included. I am using Step 7 MicroWin 4.0 SP3 and had to purchase it separately.

Regards,

Last edited:
hed said:
The most recent version of Step 7 MicroWin is V4.0 SP5
The link posted by PeterW does still mention SP3. Thanks to your post I searched the Siemens site and yep, there it is. Thanks for the info. Once again this site proves to get the info faster to the customers than the manufacturer.

Kind regards,

ok sorry if some one is being confused

but simatic s7 new version is 5.4
and microwin 4.0 sp5
but i am talking about simatic 5.3 and microwin 4.0 sp3
if u need talk other wise as u like one again guys if u r being confused

farrei said:
but simatic s7 new version is 5.4
and microwin 4.0 sp5
but i am talking about simatic 5.3 and microwin 4.0 sp3
if u need talk other wise as u like one again guys if u r being confused

Yes, Simatic Step 7 5.3 or 5.4 are versions of the programming software for S7-300 and S7-400 PLC's and microwin 4.0 is for S7-200. But you said:

farrei said:
dear when you get s7 v3.0 0r higher software package cd it has both software microwin and simatic manager

This I have never seen and others have agreed that they have not seen this either. A single disk with Step 7 AND Microwin on.

Microwin and Step 7 are totally different, historically I believe S7-200 was a TI developement taken over by Siemens when they bought TI, which is why it is totally different and not included in the Step 7 programming package.

I am also quite sure in the early days Microwin was free, I have a vague memory of having a copy but never using it and that indeed may have been issued with a copy of Step 7.

As you now have to purchase Microwin and have had to for some time, I cannot see Siemens issuing it with Step 7.

ok what you think i donot need to think

but dear i have come to point if i can solve your problme i feel happy other wise please donot waste my time thanks
i think you have to eat mango instead of thinking how they grow
[email protected]