Omron CJ1G and Kepware

Marie1982

Hi,

We are trying to connect CJ1G Omron PLC to Kepware.

Nothing works.

Anyone can tell us what cable/port/settings we should use?

Thanks

Marie

Cabling is probably an issue.
The Omron 9 pin port in NOT a standard IBM pin out.
Check the manual for the processor, W339.
Default settings for that port should be:
Toolbus, 9600, 7, E, 2 stop.
You will probably need to change protocol to Host Link.

Hope this will help.

Look at Dipswitch 5 on the CPU also. It sets the RS232 port to default, fixed settings. If you are trying to adjust the settings with CX programmer, these settings won't actually work until you turn Dipswitch 5 off.

Hi,

We have all checked what u have suggested and everything seems ok.

I do not have any communication error... Only Value = Unknown and Quality = Bad in the OPC Quick Client of Kepware...

Any ideas???

Also in the system tag _Error of my Omron driver I always have 1 which means that there is communication error... how can I see what is the error?

Thanks

Marie

I believe that my cable is ok because I can communicate with my CX-Programmer software using the host link port (configured in Toolbus).

I think it's the settings in Kepware but I don't know what.

Marie1982 said:
It is a USB to serial dongle. Is this a problem???

It may be a problem.

This topic has been discussed many times on this forum; generally speaking, with USB-to-serial dongles, one cannot be sure if it will work. Some PLCs don't seem to care, some work with certain dongle brands and don't work with others, some would not work with any.

If you have a real COM port on the PC you are running your KEPServer on, try to switch to it. If this is one of the new laptops that have no COM ports on them, see if you can install KEPServer on another PC or get yourself one of those serial port PCMCIA cards (Socket I/O brand, for example).

For now, you want to make sure that it is the dongle causing the problem (or not!). Otherwise, I have not noticed anything wrong or suspicios in neither your KEPWare configuration nor in your PLC ports configuration. Maybe someone else can spot a mistake - I didn't.

Hi,

I tried to connect with a PC using a real COM port and it still doesn't work.

When I open the Diagnostics, I have no successful reads and no successful writes. I see that data is being transfered (I see green data on the diagnostics screen) and I see the communication LED on the PLC flashing slowly but I never receive anything back from the PLC.

Also, I read at many places that if I can get online with CX-Programmer it means that I have the good cable to communicate with Kepware. Is that true?

Thanks.

Marie

Also when I start my OPC client, I get the error "Device 'Omron.Device1' is not responding".

I can't see the cause of this.

Also where in CX-Programmer can I check the Toolbus device ID of my PLC?

Thanks

Marie-Eve

Also I see that in the system tag "_System._ReportCommErrors" I always have 1, which means that I'm in communication error. Is there any information somewhere that could tell me what kind of error it is? Is it linked with the "Device not responding" error?Marie

If you double click on the PLC (offline) in CX-P ypu will see the selected comms method, PLC type etc.Open up Toolbus settings (button) and the network and node number will be displayed for you along with frame length etc etc.

I noticed from your CXP file you have set both the Peripheral port and Host Link port of the CPU to ToolBus. I would set these back to default Host Link and download the settings, power cycle and test with dipswitch 5 to OFF position or just flip dipswitch 5 to ON position to enable auto default settings for the Host Link port and test the connection from KEPServer again.

Dipswitch 4 does the peripheral port excactly the other way around, 4 OFF is auto settings and 4 ON is user setup (CX-Programmer settings).

Never mind that, I didn't notice you were using ToolBus driver in KEPWare, thought it was the Host Link driver but I noticed now you can only use ToolBus to connect to an CJ series CPU.
Will do some tests.

Last edited: