Can't communicate with PanelView 600

Hi. I have a PanelView 600. The cat # is 2711-T6C8L1. I am trying to communicate with it using DH+ on a 5/04. When I plug in a cable between them the DH+ lights up on the 5/04 like it is communicating. The problem is that when I plug my laptop into the 5/04 and open RSLinx, the 5/04 shows up, but not the PV600. The PV600 has a program loaded in it now with no way to get to setup screens. I'm not sure if I setting is wrong in PV600 or if my version of RSLinx is too old to recognize PV600. I'm using RSLinx 2.30 and tried it on version 2.42 with the same problem. Any ideas?

What are the DH+ addresses for each of these parts involved? I'd almost bet that your PC and the PV have the same DH+ address.

My best guess is that your laptop is plugged into the Channel 0 RS-232 port of the SLC-5/04 and the PanelView is connected to the Channel 1 DH+ port of the SLC-5/04.

SLC controllers do not automatically bridge communications from one port to another like the ControlLogix family controllers do.

You may need to set the "DF1 Passthrough Enable" bit in the SLC-5/04 and change your DF1 Full Duplex driver Device Type value to 1770-KF2/KE. Search the SLC-5/0x User Manual, RSLogix 500 Online Help, and the A-B Knowledgebase for details on this passthrough function between DF1 and DH+.

If my guess is incorrect and you are using a 1784-PCMK card to get onto the DH+ network, then you probably have incorrect wiring, incorrect termination, or a duplicate node address among your SLC, PanelView and 1784-PCMK.

Your PV also has a serial port. If it has not been configured for a printer, then you can upload/download or program your PV thru this port.
Use DF1 driver in RSLinx and a straight thru cable.
Post your offline PBA file we can check to see the ports configuration.

You still can get into the setup screen. Cycle power on the PV look for a white box on the bottom righthand side press the white box this well get you into the setup screen it take about a min. to get in there.

Thanks to all of you for your info so far. Let's see if I can answer a few questions.

OZEE: The SLC and the PV are communicating to each other okay. The SLC address is 01. If I change the SLC address, I lose comm with the PV, so I know that is corrct. I don't know the address for the PV because I can't get into the config screens.

jrwb4gbm: Thanks for the manual. My PV is touchscreen only and I can't get to the config screen. There is a program in the PV that someone else put in and the config screen is password protected.

Ken Roach: You are correct. That is how I have it hooked up. The pass through bit may be the problem. I didn't think about that. I'll try that.

Mickey: The PV600 does have a serial port but I think on these they are print only. I don't think it's possible to set them up to communicate.

magicsmoke: I didn't know about the white box. I will try that. These things have a reset, but all that does is cycle power which doesn't help in my case. I'll look for the white box though.

Thanks again to all of you. I'll tinker with this for a bit and get back to you with the results.

Thanks to all of you for your info so far. Let's see if I can answer a few questions.

Mickey: The PV600 does have a serial port but I think on these they are print only. I don't think it's possible to set them up to communicate.

No,if the cat.no. you posted is correct, you do have a choice.

pv600.jpg

Mickey,

It appears you are correct. I was told the RS232 port was print only on this one. I tried to use that port and Autoconfigure my DF1 driver, but it failed. Apparently, it is set-up as a print port now. I still haven't been able to get to the config screen on the PV or get it to show up in RSLinx, so I can't change that port to be active for downloading.

As magicsmoke said heres the procedsure to get to the config screen: And PassThru. Just keep trying.

Last edited:
Mickey,

I realized you said to use a straight-thru cable. When I tried using RS232 I didn't use a straight-thru cable, I used the CP3 cable. This could be the problem. I don't have a stright-thru cable here, but may pick one up at Radio Shack tomorrow. I think they have them.

Hey, just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the help. I have been working out of town helping to build and do startup in a new facility. I finally got back home and got a chance to mess with the old PV600. I never got the Pass-Thru to work right, but I was able to program it through the RS232 port. Mickey was right. You can use the RS232 port for printing OR programming. I was always told (including by an AB salesman) it was for printing only, but that was obviously wrong.

Anyway, as of last week, it is programmed and working great. Thanks again for the help.