AC Drive

danesh

Hi,

I’m going to choose a AC Drive for electropump in water distribution plant. What is your suggestion ?

I will appreciate if you advise me.

Regardsm

Danesh

Last edited:
Danesh, May I ask why you are limited to "European" brands?. We have a global economy these days, and global availability........And this forum seems to have a global flavor as well. There are many more important issues regarding VFDs that you DIDN'T spec in your question.

Stationmaster

Stationmaster,

You are right, I Remove europan terms and now edit my post.
with this new condition what is your suggestion?

Danesh

What is available in your area? What brands can you get support for? It doesn't do us much good to recommend something that you can't get support for...

Most any brand can do the job.

Realy I am going to selecting a brand that is not avilable in our local market for bussiness.

In local market I can find vacon,Simens,Telemechanic,Omron,Controltechnic,LG and so on.

OK... Tell me about your control plan, and the hp of your pump. Some brands have more I/O, others may have more versatility wth selecting analog functions etc. I recently installed a Rockwell and was a little surprised that I could't option 2 different inputs with the same function.......what is controling your drive? Will you have an operator potentiometer for a "test" or "hand" mode? AND as OZEE said, SERVICE and SUPPORT are critical.

Just to add a third voice on this, there are very few "bad" drives. So it comes down to primarily two things.

First, does the drive have the hp, control features, enclosure, and communications that I need for my application?

Second, is there local sales and, more importantly, technical application support (that includes training) readily available at reasonable cost?

Ok,

My plant is water tretment and water distribution pump station, maybe PLC cintrol the Drive and maybe drive control itself.
the power of motor is warios in difrent case, between 22 up to 400 KW.

Is anybody done a project like this? please share the exprence with me.

Regards,
Danesh

Danesh, yes, I do projects like this all the time....it's kinda my "thing". I always start with the "over-all plan" as DickDV pointed out. VFD brand selection is done much farther down the line. To re-enforce.....the VFD must have the specific FEATURES you need. (for example: if, as you say, the "drive may control itself" you will need one with a PID feature you can understand or learn.) The NAME BRAND will be determined AFTER the required product features are met. Then you can use input re: support, training, warranty policies, etc....etc to select a BRAND NAME. I can't emphasize enough......START WITH THE BIG PICTURE AND WORK INWARD, instead of STARTING WITH THE VFD BRAND AND WORKING OUTWARD. Another consideration that rears it's ugly head is "price". In a "perfect" world, "price" would "be no object". My world is rarely "perfect". One must consider against whom they may be competing, etc. Are you employed by this plant? Or contracting? These things are a little off topic for this forum but SOMEBODY has to write the check(s) for the drives you select.....and keep writing them for mainenance....
Food for thought?

Stationmaster

Very thanks, very useful
In our customers world price is a lilte matter :)but myself acceept you about price.

Can I contact you via Email?

Regards.
Danesh

Stationmaster said:
Danesh, yes, I do projects like this all the time....it's kinda my "thing". I always start with the "over-all plan" as DickDV pointed out. VFD brand selection is done much farther down the line. To re-enforce.....the VFD must have the specific FEATURES you need. (for example: if, as you say, the "drive may control itself" you will need one with a PID feature you can understand or learn.) The NAME BRAND will be determined AFTER the required product features are met. Then you can use input re: support, training, warranty policies, etc....etc to select a BRAND NAME. I can't emphasize enough......START WITH THE BIG PICTURE AND WORK INWARD, instead of STARTING WITH THE VFD BRAND AND WORKING OUTWARD. Another consideration that rears it's ugly head is "price". In a "perfect" world, "price" would "be no object". My world is rarely "perfect". One must consider against whom they may be competing, etc. Are you employed by this plant? Or contracting? These things are a little off topic for this forum but SOMEBODY has to write the check(s) for the drives you select.....and keep writing them for mainenance....
Food for thought?

Stationmaster

I don't really MIND if you want to contact me by email BUT................the spirit of the forum is that everyone learns a little and everyone contributes a little. I may not be able to offer a complete solution to some part of your project whereas with the full resources and contributions of the entire forum community you may receive a better overall picture, another idea may be triggered in someone else's head and that may trigger an idea in your head (and mine, I expect to learn from your project as well). The long timers on this forum seem to have enormous collections of links to helpful information on a wide variety of topics. I think it would be a mistake to go "off forum". That doesn't mean you can't email me if you want. There is also a way (I haven't tried it yet) to send private messages via this forum, if you're sure that's what you want. I'll help you any way I can.

Also, please pardon my geographical ignorance, but where is Teh?

Regards,

Stationmaster

Ok, what is your geographical ignorance?
Teh=Tehran

Stationmaster said:
I don't really MIND if you want to contact me by email BUT................the spirit of the forum is that everyone learns a little and everyone contributes a little. I may not be able to offer a complete solution to some part of your project whereas with the full resources and contributions of the entire forum community you may receive a better overall picture, another idea may be triggered in someone else's head and that may trigger an idea in your head (and mine, I expect to learn from your project as well). The long timers on this forum seem to have enormous collections of links to helpful information on a wide variety of topics. I think it would be a mistake to go "off forum". That doesn't mean you can't email me if you want. There is also a way (I haven't tried it yet) to send private messages via this forum, if you're sure that's what you want. I'll help you any way I can.

Also, please pardon my geographical ignorance, but where is Teh?

Regards,

Stationmaster

Danesh, I hope you are considering your control and integration scheme with great care. Are you going to design a central MCC for this plant? If the drives are to control themselves, and price is of little concern......you might check to see if Goulds Aquavar is supported in your area (I had to travel to rural NEW YORK just for training on this unit). I just posted a similar opinion on another thread on this forum. This unit is more than just a VFD. It seems to be user freindly for folks with less experience in system design. It comes with an on-board PLC, a pre-selected, unit compatable analog pressure tranducer, and built in alarm monitoring. You can link multiple units together with a built in RS485 link and run them in "sequential" or "syncronous" modes. The list of features goes on and on. It sounds like you will have a variety of pumps/motors, maybe varied grouping and control needs.......it may be worth considering these units that are relatively self-contained and that will run independently for redundancy applications.

Also, if anyone knows of a similar product of another NAME BRAND especially if it is less expensive than the Goulds, I would be most interested as well.

Stationmaster

Thanks,
I have (7+1)*200 KW centrifugal pump and I am going to provide constant pressure . In the plant I have a S7 PLC in the control room and there is option to place PID on PLC or on VFD. What is your selection?

Can I have some your design of MCCs or control center?

Danesh