FLYGT Pump contols

sgates

My Employers has asked me to come up with a plan to replace Our old controls on three 200HP flygt pumps. The Old units are about 3000.00 us dollars for each one. They Monitor temp on the stators, water in the pecker head and temp on the two bearings. My Problem is that they use pt100 some 4 to 20ma signals and resistances of 330 Ohms to 1.5 mega Ohms. I was wondering if anyone out there has run into these Pumps and have changed the monitoring systems over to a PLC. I will Be using a SLC 5/04 to hopefully do this. If anyone Could give me some assistance on this It would greatly be appreciated

Thanks,
Sgates

PT100 and 4-20ma should not be a problem. I think just about all PLC manufacturers have PT100 cards these days - cannot answer for the 5/04 though - and certainly have analogue cards. For the resistances you would have to buy transmitters to turn the signal into analogues - not really a big problem. Have done it before.

We use the same type pumps in several applications, most into SLC500.
I would consider using a transmitter for the PT100 and just use a standard 4-20 ma analog input card like an NI4 or NI8. That will get you away from any special cable issues if you have a long cable run and one less type of spare card you may want in stock.

Thermo/RTD head mounted Moore Industries or Rosemount transmitters are pretty cheap and are HART configurable for most types of input to get the 4-20ma signal you are looking for.
The variable resistances for the moisture detection will probably require a little more work.
If you need any help we are local (based in Salt Lake), feel free to PM me.

Thanks guys

I did not think of using a transmitter, I have used then on other projects and they work well, I will give that a go.