BRIX measurement

AMAZINGAHMED

Could anyone recommend an instrument for measuring the BRIX of the sugar solution?
I have found SITRANS F C series. Any other suggestions.

AMAZINGAHMED,

I got my start as an I&C guy in a beet sugar refinery. I haven't been into sugar for over 5 years now though. What specifically are you looking for?

Some things I do remember about it:

1.) It was very dirty.
2.) It was very hot and very cold.
3.) Parts of the plant was outside, so there were large temperature variations on air lines. This made for a lot of water in control air lines.

Greg

I second nonuke on K-Patents. The Finnish make great Nokia phones and in-line concentration meters.

Dan

Anton Paar

I have a couple of Anton Paar inline Cobrix analizers, these are used on wine and measure Brix as well as several other things (Alcohol, CO2, DO, Temp).
Units measure a sample and return the sample to the main line. There are CIP/Stem capable.
Cheers
Peter

Greg Dake said:
AMAZINGAHMED,
What specifically are you looking for?
Greg

I'm looking specially for the lime kiln automation. I'm lost selecting the instrumentation. The kiln was built in 1979 so i can't find any data on the internet about the old instrumentation so i could get compatibles.
I have a PID but it's not very helpful.
If you have a site explaining this process in detail, it will be very nice because i'm not completely aware of the process because the engineers at the factory are not willing to help.
Thank you.

Brix

Although Refractive Index (RI) is the right technology for brix and liquid concentration measurements. It is NOT good for Lime Kiln application. The reason is that only dissolved material effects RI (sugar, acid, caustic, chemical) and since lime is NOT dissolved, RI does not pick it up. On the flip side, an application were this “side effect” IS helpful is in a sugar pan application. By using microwave to determine total solids AND refractive index to measure dissolved material only. You can calculate what is crystallized.

As far as the debate between inline refractometers there are inexpensive ones, but there is only one that works, and works well in “less then perfect” conditions.

The K-Patents is more robust, will less maintenance, no lamps to replace, no drifting, and no influence by flow changes, etc. It is pretty clear when you put them head to head!