I want this job

dawghogston

Hey guys, here is the situation. Im a lead operator at the facility
that I work at. I have more senority than any one else who works here. Manaement is creating a new job in a few months for a electrical/measurement/control tech. I want this job bad. My boss has skipped over me for 4 other jobs I've wanted. The only reasons I can gather is I didn't have enough experience or Im the best operator he's got. The company is going to shut this plant down and are in the process of building another (this is were the new job comes in).
It's a small plant and it will have only one plc. Our current maintenance crew is still in the stone ages. They dont even know what a plc or logic is. I have a diploma in electricity/electronics, certificate in electricity, diploma in electro-mechanical maintenance mechanics and I am a certified journeyman electrician, and a certified electrical repairman. I also have about 4 years electrical/maintenance experiance. I am trying to teach myself plc's. I have bought the plc trainer and logix pro from Koldwater. Its great and i'm learning alot. My question is what can I tell, get or show my boss, to prove i can do this new job. Oh yeah please dont count off for spelling on my whine session.

Your boss may not want to give you up (the curse of competence) or he may be ****ed off at you. It really doesn't matter. This guy has a track record of holding you back, so it's time to subtly go around him. If the plant is being shutdown anyway, what have you got to lose?

Go directly to personnel, ask for the job posting, and fill out an application. Try to run into your bosses boss at the water cooler, and ask him about what the job entails - casually mentioning your qualifications and let him know you would be available as soon as you train your replacement. oint out that you already have your own tools, better than the maintenance departments for that kind of work. (OK, but a little brown nosing doesn't hurt.)

You get the idea - don't waste your time on persuading the guy who has screwed you three times already!

Make yourself a brag book. It will contain yuor certifications and diplomas, your resume. Include a cover letter that describes your skill sets and also include what your have done in the past to save or make the company money. Also work up a consise resume and include it in your book. As your boss if he will take time to look at your book. Let him know the job posting is what your goal is. If the plant is indeed closing use this book for any interviews. Keep extra copies of your resume in there and also make some buisness cards that you can use when needed. Vendors equipment sales reps are good people to talk to discuss leads or developing a relationship. Get in good with the techs that work in the area. If there is a plant closing you want to have as many contacts in your address book when you start your job search. Don't get stuck on working for one employer forever. Those days are gone. Learn as much as you can and volunteer to help out when ever you can. Show interest and don't be a winer, you'll get rresults.