Comms between Allen Bradley & Siemens

thomas1000

Hi,

Can someone recommend the best method of communicating between an Allen Bradley SLC500 PLC and a Siemens S7-300 PLC.

The amount of data to be transmitted is no more than 50 bytes.

Thanks

Unfortunately I cant think of any simple point-to-point solution (neither talk modbus natively)though Prosoft have some AB InRax Siemens cards (Specifically model MVI46-S3964R)

You might want to check that out.

L D[AR2 said:
How about using a couple of i/o cards and handshaking the data between the two systems.

Done just that.... and it worked

S5 on the bottom (OEM built) 504 on top (GiT built :D)

SV100467.jpg

The simple and easy way to do this would be to use the Red Lion DataStation Plus LE model, DPSLE. It can talk to your AB PLC via DF1, DH485, or Ethernet. And you can talk to the Siemens PLC via RS232, RS485, or Ethernet. Here is a link to the product. This would be very easy to do.

Red Lion DSPLE

Here is the Free Software needed to do this

Crimson 2.0

And here is more info about these products on the web:

Red Lion DSP

Here are some photos of this product talking to a Modicon PLC and passing data over Ethernet to Allen Bradley ControlLogix PLC. This same node is also talking to a Yokogawa PLC in another cabinet over Ethernet and transfering that data to/from the Allen Bradley PLC.

DSP in Action

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Joe_WaZoo

Joe,

I met an integrator that used this to talk from S7 to a Cognex camera.(ethernet)

He said this is a great product!

Jay

We have 2 data stations on site at the moment one of which talks to 2 seperate DH485 networks (to reduce traffic on the networks) it also talks to a SLC5/05 , a ML1100 and some Modbus TCP remote I/O over ethernet, it takes some data from the DH485 networks and passes that to the SLC5/05 as well as the data from the modbus TCP I/O with no problems so far .It also runs 3 webs sites which display the data it has gathered across the networks.

For the price you can't go wrong.

Last edited:
Jay,

Works good with the Banner Vision system as well.

We are going to start teaching Free class here in Dallas at our new DFW Training Facility. I'll have to put a post whenever we get the schedules worked out. We predomantlt cover the states of TX, OK, AR, LA, MS, and part of TN so you might be out of the range some but if we have extra space... Right now the first three classes were packed. Your local Red Lion Rep may be offering the same in your area as well.

Regards,
Joe_WaZoo

An "S7-300" may mean many things.
Maybe there is only MPI available.
Maybe there is DP available.
If DP is available, then I think the "neatest" solution is to use a direct Profibus connection between the 2 PLCs.
Peter Nachtwey said:
Profibus DP. SST has a Profibus DP card that fits in the control logix.
Yep. And luckily they also have modules for the SLC platform ;)

Thanks for all your replies, will look at the suggestions in detail.

When I've completed the project will let you know the outcome.

Thanks

2nd for SST

We have used the SST modules before. Currently have a system we are moving away from which uses their module to move 10,000 ints from TI575 to CLX. Their support is pretty good. I'd second the previous post to take a look at them.

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to do a similiar thing

I'm trying to communicate with a s7-300 (315pn/dp) to a compactlogix (L32E)

They all have the same subnet and run through a common switch its just about setting up a comms path. Is this quite easy over ethernet?

Also i will only be setting up the s7 side of things; i will need to instruct the programmer of the compactlogix on how to set up his comms.