Plc Compare

khodkar

Hi,
I have to prepare a table that compares different plc's ( Siemens, tele,Allen Bradley,Omron, ...).
Dose anybody have any address or information that help me.

Thanks
khodkar

How many models - they are all different. Basically, how many months uninterrupted do you have? The comparison should probably also include software, networks etc - would take a heck of a long time.

it is very big project to compare different plc in a single table.you have to learn each plc first then u can do some comparision...but still there will ...

hi khodkar,

I can give u some of Siemens PLC system info.
Siemens

1.S5 PLC , Programming software is STEP5(now it is obsolate,but stll many applications are running,& hope will continue for another decade before retrofiting)
2.S7 PLC, 3 basic series available
a. S7-200 b.S7-300 and S7-400
a.In s7-200 CPU 221,222,224,224xp,226..are availble with a common Programming Software MicroWIN v4.0 free, no licenece required.
PC-PLC communication cable is called PC/PPI cable,or S7-200 can also communicate PC via MPI adapter. For Profibus or Ethernet you need separate module.
b.In S7-300 CPU 312,313,313c,313-2dp...many more new, MMC-Micromemory Card is required which stores complete Program on it.Very good concept of storing total Project on MMC.
c.In S7-400 CPU 412,413-1....many versions are there...very big configuration support, It just like DCS .....many more high end technical features available on this.

a common software is used for all S7-300 and S7-400 PLC CPU called Simatic Manager STEP7.I found this software is very much userfriendly.WHat ever u need it has.

for S7300 and 400 common onboard communication port MPI is used.some CPU can have Profibus/Ethernet/Serial Port on it.

HMI- two softwares r available WinCC flexible and Protool CS, both are used to develop TouchPanel, Control Panel, Text Display and can also be used to develop SCADA.

SCADA-WinCC is the very nice SCADA software.though I don't have too much afair with it, but worked on many project and found good.

Hope these information will be helpfull to you.

I see this thread is several years old, but I have the same project- Compare PLCs from several producers- Siemens, Allen Bradley, Fanuc, Schneider. Khodkar, what did you find to be the best method/source for finding information?

Asking khodkar isn't going to help -- he hasn't been logged into the forum in over 2 years.

First, you're going to have to define your comparison criteria and how you're going to weight them in your evaluation.

Are you only interested in price? That's easy to compare, but most expensive isn't always best, nor is least expensive always worst. But what about service? That is not quite as easy to compare -- depending on how you define your evaluation criterion. Performance? That's even more difficult, because you're often not talking apples-to-apples when comparing across brands, or even across different platforms within the same brand. Ease of programming -- that's nearly impossible to evaluate, as it's a personal preference.

Define your terms first, then contact each of those manufacturers and have them supply the info required per your criteria.

If you're asking here, you will get preferences. We all have our preferences, based on how we learned, what we've used, etc.

Just go to the Download/Misc of this forum and download the file PLC_COMPARISON_CHART_2007_V5.XLS.
It's 2 years old, but most of the PLC's are still on the market.
Great job done by JesperMP.
Great Forum

Think I've got what you're looking for

This thread inspired me to do some research. I compared pricing and features for many of the big PLC manufacturers.
I posted my results to http://plccompare.com.
There's a lot of detail, and I tried to source my information as best as possible. Good luck.🍻

Last edited:
Very nice.
Not error-free, as any big work, but overall very good.

Couple corrections:

Omron CQM1H is listed as with "No Motor Control Units Available", while pulse I/O board CQM1H-PLB21 is such.

Rockwell/AB MicroLogix is listed as with no demo software, while such exists.
Its paid software cost is exaggerated almost 10 times.
Also, entire MicroLogix family should not be rated together, as the models differ too much by their capabilities.

Last edited:
Yes very nice

Few corrections for the M340
Reusable subroutines - allows defined function blocks and defined data types and then allows you to store and retrieve those from a library
seamless data transfer is achieved using the io scanning table - simply fill out the table with a source as data registers in another plc (ethernet only)
Programming software seems to be too expensive - for the M340 you only require UnityProS over here its around the $800 (I think)

May also be useful to include the natively supported communication networks
eg M340 - Modbus, ModbusTCP, EthernetIP, CAN, Profibus

Also same applies for the Modicon Quantum as for the M340 as far as reusable subroutines and data transfer

Last edited:
Thanks for the great suggestions.

Sergei, I added motor control to CWM1H, found my pricing error in the RS Logix 500(I was using RS Logix 5 prices). As for the demo software, you're correct RS Logix Micro has demo software, before I was only showing 500 info. I added the Micro software. If 500 has demo software, please provide a link I'd love to add it. It was a difficult, deciding which lines to group together, I may break this one apart in the future when I get some more time.

Geoff, I don't have access to UnityPro over the weekend, but I'll take a look at your Data Transfer and Subroutine suggestions on Monday. I try to provide links to online distributor for each price I provide, to back up that it actually sells at my stated price. In the case of the UnityPro software I used Siemen's price list. I found their prices to be almost identical to plccenter.com's prices. If you've got an online dealer that you know sells for less let me know, I'll link to it. I know this isn't a perfect system, but if you look around I think you'll find I'm providing the best prices I can find with vendors to back them up. Hopefully the big PLC companies will come to their senses one of these days and pricing won't be as difficult to find.

Thanks again guys, I'm sure there's other things to correct, just let me know when you find errors I'd love to make the site as accurate as possible. On each product page I've got a comment section where you can make suggestions, additionally I'll keep my eye on this thread. Thanks

In S7 300,400 page screen shot is that of Microwin software !
In S7 200 page mentioned Software to program the PLC is Step 7 but correct one is Microwin.

But Looks and ambiance of the website is good.