Pointers

s7xp.com

Anybody how knows how to declare a pointer to the previous local data (V).

I: P# I10.0
Q: P# Q10.0
M: P# M50.0
DB: P# DB1.DXB10.0
DI: P# DIX10.0
L: P# L 10.0
V: P# ?????

Thanks for the reply. In a function block (instance datablock) you have the possibility to add a pointer as input. The manual of step 7, chapter A3.4.2. Format of the Parameter Type Pointer talks about V.

An example of using V type.

I have sent into a block a parameter which is the pointer to a start of a data area, once inside the block I then want to block transfer from the area pointed to, into the TEMP area of the block.

Before calling SFC20, I set up the pointers to both areas, but as the TEMP area is on this block, not SFC20, then I have to change the area to V type in my pointer.

SFC20 will then move the data, into the TEMP area of the calling block.

Referencing the V area is almost always done by loading an address register with a pointer to the area. For example, say pPointer is a parameter of type pointer (it can be a parameter of an FC or FB),

Code:
L P#pPointer  
LAR1		   //ar1 will now contain Vx.y
L W[AR1,P#0.0] //this retrieves the db number from the V area
L D[AR1,P#2.0] //this retrieves the area pointer from the V area

You've totally confused me there Simon.

As I understand it and have used it, the V area points to the TEMP area of the previous OB/FC/FB that you were in.

If you load P#pPointer and #pPointer is a TEMP, then the resultant pointer would be to the local TEMP area, not the previous TEMP area.

I'm not sure I understand your statement at all.

Sorry for the confusion, my original post is incorrect in that different processing applies between FC's and FB's

Here's an example of a call to an FC with an input parameter of type pointer.

point001.JPG

Here's a similar example but with an FB:

point002.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the info, but my question is still ot solved. I declare in a FB a pointer as input. Create instance datablock. Open data block and I want to enter in the actual value a V pointer. But how??

None of the editors allow you to enter a V area pointer (because it is only used at parameter transfer time), so if you want the DB to contain a V area pointer then download the DB to the simulator(or a real plc), insert the data using a VAT table and then copy the DB from online to offline.

Why do you want to insert the V area pointer this way ?

Last edited: